1. Default Drive to New Haven From DC, Need Route Advice

Hello guys,

I will drive to New Haven, CT on Sunday, June 5th, 2016. What is the best drive route? Google Map provides two options.

1. If I just search the directly, Google Map gives me this option (300 miles) : Baltimore-Washington Pkwy. Take I-95 N, NJ Tpke and I-95 N to Oak Street Connector in New Haven. Take exit 47 from I-95 N

There will be around 10 toll roads and I don't think it will be a good idea.

2. If I choose to avoid tolls, the route will be (350 mile):

Baltimore-Washington Pkwy. Take I-695 N, I-83 N and US-30 E to US-222 N in Ontelaunee Township. Take the US-222 N exit from US-222 N Get on I-78 E/PA-309 S in Lehigh County Continue on I-78 E. Take I-287 N, I-80 E, I-87 N, Hutchinson River Pkwy N and I-95 N to Oak Street Connector in New Haven. Take exit 47 from I-95 N

There will be only one toll.

Do you guys have any experience driving to New Haven from DC? I plan to leave from DC around 6 am, will it be a good idea? Also, I will drive back to DC from Norwalk, CT on a Saturday, when should I leave to avoid the traffic? I prefer get back to DC before 8 pm.

Thank you so much for your time!

Tucson, AZ

Default The Non-BosWash Route

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Personally I (and many others) avoid I-95 like the plague. It's not just that it's largely toll roads and bridges between Washington and New Haven, it also has some of the most congested traffic and craziest drivers (a bad combination) anywhere in the country. I am willing to spend a fair bit of extra time on the road to accomplish that. The alternative that your mapping program is giving you misses I-95 for the most part but does go through Baltimore, uses a fairly slow road (US-22/US-209) and still has you going through the New York City metro area. It saves on tolls, and doesn't cost too much in extra time, but it's still not as pleasant a drive as exists between DC and NH.

My preferred route is leave the DC area on I-270 to the northwest, joining I-70 to Hagerstown and picking up I-81 north there. At Scranton get on I-84 east to Newtown and take CT-34 from there to New Haven. That will add about 50% to your driving miles and cost you about two hours in driving time. But keeping my sanity makes it worth it to me.

3. Default

thank you so much for your advice!

Joplin MO

Another option is either I-95 or the B-W Parkway to I-695 around the west side of Baltimore, I-83 to York, US-30 to Lancaster, US-222 to Reading, PA-61 to I-78, I-287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge and Cross Westchester Parkway, Hutchinson River and Merritt Parkway, Wilbur Cross Highway to CT-34.