I am planning a road trip for this summer, specifically 6/25 - 7/26. I've always wanted to go on a road trip, recently got a new car I love to drive, and managed to get a month off work...so I figure now is the time to make the trip. I'd be making this trip solo, but hope to meet some good people along the way.
Right now I like the trip I have planned but am thinking it might be too ambitious, so I am looking for feedback on how to mold it into the best trip possible! The trip as planned is:
Crunching those numbers...
Chicago, IL (Start Trip)
-> St Louis, MO (296 mi - 4h 40m - 1 night stay)
-> Kansas City, KS (259 mi - 4h 30m - 1 night stay)
-> Garden City, KS (380 mi - 6h 12m - 1 night stay)
-> Denver, CO (335 mi - 5h 20m - 2 night stay)
-> Telluride, CO (365 mi - 6h 19m - 2 night stay)
-> Flagstaff, AZ (341 mi - 5h 52m - 1 night stay)
-> Las Vegas, NV (250 mi - 3h 58m - 2 night stay)
-> Los Angeles, CA (269 mi - 4h 22m - 2 night stay)
-> Santa Maria, CA (159 mi - 2h 39m - 1 night stay)
-> Monterey, CA (175 mi - 2h 54m - 1 night stay)
-> Half Moon Bay, CA (91 mi - 1h 45m - 2 night stay)
-> Mendocino, CA (181 mi - 3h 35m - 1 night stay)
-> Eureka, CA (143 mi - 3h 07m - 1 night stay)
-> Coos Bay, OR (217 mi - 4h 08m - 1 night stay)
-> Portland, OR (223 mi - 3h 59m - 1 night stay)
-> Seattle, WA (174 mi - 2h 50m - 2 night stay)
-> Coeur d'Alene, ID (312 mi - 5h 03m - 1 night stay)
-> Whitefish, MT (222 mi - 4h 06m - 1 night stay)
-> Great Falls, MT (220 mi - 3h 44m - 1 night stay)
-> Yellowstone Park (301 mi - 5h 19m - 2 night stay)
-> Casper, WY (324 mi - 5h 56m - 1 night stay)
-> Rapid City, SD (254 mi - 4h 11m - 1 night stay)
-> Sioux Falls, SD (349 mi - 5h 20m - 1 night stay)
-> Minneapolis, MN (269 mi - 4h 07m - 1 night stay)
-> Chicago, IL (409 mi - 6h 29m - End Trip)
# of Days that Include Driving: 25
# of Rest Days: 7
Total Days: 32
Total Distance: 6,517 miles / 109h 56m
Average (Including Rest Days): 203.7 miles / 3h 26m
Average (Excluding Rest Days): 260.7 miles / 4h 24m
With this route in mind, I had a handful of questions.
1) Am I trying to fit in too much? Would this trip be better if I cut some of the stops off? If so, how would you switch it up?
2) Would it make more sense to reverse the route? I hear it's better to travel Pacific Highway from north to south, but im not sure if that warrants reversing the trip.
3) Kansas is big. I'm thinking about stopping in Garden City overnight. What other options are there for a decent stop between KC and Denver? Hays maybe?
4) I was thinking about visiting the Grand Canyon during my 1 day in Flagstaff. Is 1 day enough time for that, or is that a stop that requires more time?
5) Would it be better to drop LA or some other CA beach towns for a day or two in Yosemite? I've never been to either.
Of course if you had any other thoughts or comments I would love to hear them.