1. Default Traveling Chicago to Glacier and back through Michigan in June

Hi, we are traveling out to glacier via black hills, SD and yellowstone and back through the UP in Michigan. Have 18 days. 1st time going west towing travel trailer. would appreciate advice.

Welcome to RTA!

What type of advice are you looking for? Is this your first time with the TT, or just the first time going west?

Keep your mileage fairly low. My husband and I had a 450 mile self-limit for "towing days". We knew we would be going slower and stopping for fuel. We stopped every couple of hours just because somebody always had to use the potty anyway, but it stretched everybody's legs.

When in the Black Hills, unhook your trailer and leave it in the campground. If your trailer mirrors are removable, do that too. If you drive Needles Scenic Highway, you'll find a couple of places where you'll be glad you don't have the mirrors, and trailers just aren't recommended. Parking at Mt Rushmore is difficult enough (parking structure) so you don't want to add a trailer to the problem.

Start making a day-to-day plan. 18 days sounds like a lot until you start realizing that it takes 2 long 450 mile days on the highway from Chicago to Black Hills (or 3 shorter ones), two days from there to Yellowstone, three days at Yellowstone, a day to drive from Yellowstone to Glacier, at least a day at Glacier, and you're already at 10 days without even factoring in time in the Black Hills (1-2 days, depending on what you want to see there).

Donna

Default What Kind of Advice?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you've read any of the responses that other travelers have gotten to their queries here, you will have observed that we simply do not give generic, one-size-fits-all, advice here. Unless people know a bit about your trip and what you hope to accomplish - far more than "We're going from Pont A to Point B." - they simply won't know what kind of advice to give. At a minimum: How many are in 'we'? What are everyone's interests? Do you plan to camp on the way or just at Glacier? Are you under any budgetary constraints? Do you need to return by the same route through Michigan or are you looking for an alternative route for one of the legs?. The more you can tell us, the better the advice you'll get.

AZBuck

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you've read any of the responses that other travelers have gotten to their queries here, you will have observed that we simply do not give generic, one-size-fits-all, advice here. Unless people know a bit about your trip and what you hope to accomplish - far more than "We're going from Pont A to Point B." - they simply won't know what kind of advice to give. At a minimum: How many are in 'we'? What are everyone's interests? Do you plan to camp on the way or just at Glacier? Are you under any budgetary constraints? Do you need to return by the same route through Michigan or are you looking for an alternative route for one of the legs?. The more you can tell us, the better the advice you'll get.

AZBuck
    this is my 1st time to this forum. there will be 3 of us and one is a 13 year old. we have pulled the TT before so that will not be new for us. this is our 1st trip west and not having been that way before I was looking for advice as to what is the minimum amount of time people would recommend for yellowstone and glacier. we are not tied to same route back and had thought of traveling from glacier to Teddy Roosevelt NP and then through WI to apostle Islands and back down through the UP in MI. The long drive across MT does have me concerned especially with our 18 day schedule. Are there better routes back and if traveling across MT, ND, MN and WI what are good sites to see?

5. Default

thank you for the tips. we plan to park the TT at the campground and then go out from there. love the 450 mile tip. I want to allow adequate time at the NPs but also don't want to spend the whole 18 days in the truck. If traveling back through MT to the apostle islands what is good to see in northern MT, ND, MN and WI?

Going all the way to the Apostle Islands would seem to be real difficult on an 18 day trip.

Figuring at least 3 days out to Yellowstone, one day to Glacier, and then driving directly back to Chicago would be about 4 - so you've used 8 days already.

I'd plan at least 3-4 days for Yellowstone, and at least 2-3 for Glacier. If you plan to spend a day or two in the Badland/Black Hills, you are already using up most of your available time.

If it were me, I think I would just head back straight from Glacier - using either US-2 or MT-200 - where you'll really get a feel for what "Big Sky Country" means. Teddy Roosevelt is another great stop just across the North Dakota border.

By that point, I think sticking to the attractions just near I-94 would be your best bet.

The UP is one of my absolute favorite places on earth, but you're going to add at least another day of driving to get there - you'd be using mostly 2 lane roads pretty much all the way across MN and WI.

You could go by Lake Itasca and the headwaters of the Mississippi. There are several cool parks and places to check out in the Duluth area. Once you're past the Apostles, you'd also have the Porcupine Mountains, the Keweenaw Penninsula, and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore to name a few places - but that I think would be better for another trip, when you've only got about a week available.