1. Default Golden Co to Ennis Montana

I want to take the route through Yellowstone on 191. That would mean I80 to 191 through Yellowstone and Exit West Yellowstone on to Ennis. Traveling by myself ........... roads good?? Safe?? Traveling middle of June.

South of England.

Default Time ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Yes the roads are good and safe although very slow going through Yellowstone NP. How much time do you have for the trip ? You would need at least one overnight stop anyway, if you really want to explore Yellowstone you will want longer.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Some of the attractions allong the way

As Dave hints, you do not mention how long you have for this trip, but here are some things to consider along the way.

At Laramie, there is scenic detour through the Medicine Bow Mountains to Saratoga, (with its free hot springs). From there it is a short hop north back to I-80.

Eleven miles north of Rock Springs is the turn off to a 17 mile detour past Boar's Tusk and the Sand dunes. It is a gravel maintained road as the mining trucks use the road. A short side trip along the way takes you to ancient petroglyphs.

Pinedale is a lovely little town with lots of scenic routes in the area - the road to the sky takes you to spectacular views of the White River Range. Another takes you to McDougall (??) Gap. I think that is what it is called. There is great information available at both the Visitor Centre - in the middle of town and the Ranger's Office - at the north end of town.

North of Pinedale is the Green River Recreation Area, and the Hoback Canyon. Be sure to read the roadside information before you head into the canyon - with its 11 miles of *no passing*.

North of West Yellowstone there is the Earthquake Lake Geological Area along US-287. This 20 mile self drive tour (leaflets available in West Yellowstone Visitor Centre) starts a few miles along 287 and ends at Eaerthquake Lake.. It tells the story of The Night of Terror in 1959, of the earthquake in which more than two dozen people perished.

Last edited by Lifemagician; 05-26-2016 at 08:40 AM.