1. Default Phoenix AZ to Columbus OH

I will be moving to Columbus is December , and I deciding to drive up there. I will be leaving the day after Christmas. I was planning on driving to Oklahoma City and spending the night there. Then driving to St. Louis and spending a night there as well. Finally from St. Louis I will drive to Columbus. Any advice ?? Any places I should visit?? Any help is appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Another Night (and Day) Needed

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Phoenix to Oklahoma City is almost a thousand miles!?!?!!! That's not a day's drive, it's two. I suspect that you're looking at some fantasy world, computer-calculated estimate that it will take 14 hours and you're thinking that yeah, that's 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM.

In the real world, where you have to stop for fuel, food, bathrooms, and just to focus your brain on something other than the few hundred feet in front of you; where there's traffic (You think you're going to be the only one driving home after Christmas?), construction, weather, RVs passing trucks in front of you; time zone changes (Each of your days eastbound is only going to be 23 hours long.); and you have to get up the next morning and do it all over again, and again the day after that... Three days is simply out of the question.

If you are going to be on the road for multiple days, you need to treat your drive as work, and tiring work at that. Or like a marathon rather than a sprint. Experience has taught most of the regular contributors here that on such an endeavor about 550 miles per day is the most you can do and remain a safe driver, Trying to do much more than that will catch up with you, and sooner rather than later. At that pace, you'll have time for reasonable breaks from the road including decent meals, time to unwind before getting a full eight hours sleep, time to get up and get going in the morning, and even time for a couple of short breaks each day where you can take your hands off the wheel and your eyes off the road. That would mean overnights at or near Santa Rosa NM, Tulsa OK, and finally Terre Haute or Indianapolis IN.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

To add to everything AZBuck said, there's WEATHER. Sometimes, those of us who live in the Sun Belt forget that other areas see snow, sleet, and rain in December. That can slow you down even more, completely forcing you off the road. Or it may change your route. Years ago, I had to be on the road right after Christmas. A storm was behind me a full day. If it had caught up, I was going to have to change my route, which would have added miles. Or gotten off the highway completely and taken a motel.

Yes -- Santa Rosa is a good first stop out of Phoenix. Done that a couple of times now, heading out of the Valley of the Sun. There are a number of decent motel choices - we've stayed at the Quality Inn - and a few eateries with possibilities.