1. Default Orlando to Albuquerque

We have 2 weeks to travel from Orlando, FL to Albuquerque, NM and back. We are heading to New Mexico to see our son graduate from the police academy. We know we want to hit the Grand Canyon first. Any other suggestions on where to stop on the way? We have driven 1-10 before and found it quite boring so I'd like to break up the trip and make the long drive more enjoyable.

Thanks for your help!

South of England.

Default Boring is a state of mind.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You have not told us anything of your interests, or how long you plan to stay out west so we know how much time you have in between. First you should start by doing some research, you will find lots of info, routes and attractions around the RTA site and you could check out the Map centre where you can enter a route and check out RTA attraction along it at different distances. Once you take a closer look you will see there are no 'boring' journey's, 'Boring' is just a state of mind. Once you have researched and other questions come up just ask and others will be a ble to fill in the blanks and make suggestions.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Enjoying Roadtrips.

Tucson, AZ

Default Alternative Routes

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Let's assume that you spend a couple of days in Albuquerque with your son and have the rest of your two weeks (call it 14 days, using both weekends) then you have a full week to make the round trip to the Grand Canyon (farther than Albuquerque, so not 'on the way'.) That's enough time to make each leg, out and back, by different routes and maximize the number of possible sights to see. If you found I-10 'boring', you'll probably find the same to be true about the other major Interstate across the desert Southwest, I-40. So lets look for a couple of non-Interstate routes that will at least have you going through some interesting small towns that, while they'll slow you down, will at least break up the relentless high speed driving that leads to highway hypnosis. I'll describe both westbound, but you can use either one (or another one entirely) in either direction.

The most direct route would be to just take I-10 as far as Mobile AL and then US-98 to Hattiesburg and US-49 to Jackson MS. I-20 will take you to Dallas - Fort Worth and then it's back to the Federal highway system on US-287 up to Amarillo TX. I-40 will then take you through Albuquerque to Flagstaff AZ and the Grand Canyon. Sites worth looking at along that route would include Gulf Island National Seashore, Vicksburg National Military Park, The Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas, Cadillac Ranch outside Amarillo, and Petrified Forest National Park.

Another good route, although it would be longer and not go through Albuquerque, would be to take I-75 up to Albany GA and then US-82/US-280 up through Columbus GA to Birmingham AL. Next up would be US-78 through Tupelo to Memphis, then I-40 and the Muskogee Turnpike to Tulsa and US-412/I-35 to Wichita KS. From there US-400/US-50/CO-10 through Dodge City to Walsenburg CO and over the Rockies on US-160 which continues to the Four Corners area and finally US-89/AZ-64 into Grand Canyon National Park. Highlights of this route include FRR's Little White House, Elvis' Birthplace as well as Graceland, Hot Springs National Park, Dodge City, Mesa Verde National Park, and Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park.

As noted, there are other possibilities. A good atlas or set of maps will help you finding both sites to see as well as alternative routes between points that make your self-defined itinerary.