Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default planning to go from NJ to Chicago

Friends

Planning to go Chicago from NJ... Its for 3 days.. Request to share any important places/attractions which can be covered in chicago and also places on the way to chicago from NJ...

Going with kids n family members..would be interested in scenic places,important attractions on that area..

Welcome to RTA!

It would help us to help you if we know a little bit more. For instance, is the "3 days" the time you have altogether, or is that just the time you are in Chicago? Frankly, I hope it's the latter, because it's around 800 miles (depending on your starting point in NJ) drive -- about a day and a half -- each way.

As for important places/attractions in Chicago, you could spend a couple of weeks there and not see them all. Brookfield Zoo, Navy Pier, the Museum of Science and Industry, Field Museum, and the Art Museum are all places to take kids. BTW, the latter 3 museums are normal field trip spots for Chicago-area students.

On the way to/from Chicago, IF you have the time, Gettysburg and the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland are two spots that come to mind, as does Hershey, PA with its chocolate town and theme park.

But it is going to boil down to "how much time do you have".

Donna

3. Default

Thanks Donna for the reply

3days is just the time going to spend in chicago...

is their any scenic attractions other than the museum? apart from chicago, guess i will pass through PA and other states..is their any attractions on the way

So you're going to spend 3 days in Chicago - but you still didn't say how much time you are planning for the actual driving portion of the roadtrip. For that matter - we don't even know where in NJ you are starting from, and both of those things will make a huge difference in what you'll have time to see and explore.

There are tons of scenic things to see and do between NJ and Chicago - Cuyahoga Valley National Park and Indiana Dunes National Lake Shore are two of the obvious ones that you'll find on a map - but again, you haven't given us much information for others to be able to help you.

5. Default

Hi Michael

I am starting on Thursday evening from central jersey ( edison in NJ) ....will return on Monday Evening/night to NJ.. This includes the driving timing in car....i assume, i will be passing through ohio ,PA..so wanted to know if any places which can be covered in 3 days visit

If you are leaving thursday evening and want to be back in NJ on Monday,, then you don't have any time at all for scenic stops. You've barely got enough time to drive to Chicago, spend 1 day there, and drive back home. As Donna mentioned, it's a day and a half drive each way just to safely cover the miles, without extra stops.

7. Default

Hi Michael

am planning to come by monday late night..so i have 4 days ....

Default That Was Understood

Yes, you plan to leave "Thursday evening", presumably after work, and to return home by Monday night. BUT, as has been pointed out, it is at least a day and a half to drive between Edison and Chicago. And even that assumes no stops going either way except for basic fuel/food/bathroom breaks, doesn't include the time it will take you to get home after work and packed and then fight the last bits of rush hour traffic onto the highway, doesn't include the time to get from/to a major freeway in Chicago to wherever you're actually staying, and doesn't include the extra time to get to your home through Monday's evening rush hour. You can just barely get to Chicago in time to have one day there, even though you'll be seriously tired from the long drive, and then turn around and leave sometime Sunday noonish to get home. It's up to you but again, the reality is that at best you get one day in Chicago and no time for sight-seeing on the way there or back.

AZBuck

I'm not sure where you think we are misunderstanding your plan. As we've said, it's a day and a half drive each way, so 3 of your 4 days will be spend in the car, leaving you one day to explore Chicago.

I get the impression based on your posts - as well as your previous statement that you'd have 3 days in Chicago - that you are severely underestimating how much driving this trip requires.

10. Default

Ha ok... i m planning to take additional 1 day ..so altogether 2 days in chicago...