Default Denver, Co to Livingston, Mt May 21-23

Hi Guys

My wife and I are planning a long weekend trip from Denver to Livingston, Montana. We're leaving Saturday May 21st and will return the following Monday May 23rd. Our time in Montana will be occupied with plenty of activities but I'm looking for things to see on the 8-10 hour drive to our destination.

From Denver I plan on taking I-25 to I-90 to US-89 until we hit our destination. I would like to keep the drive to Montana at under 12 hours, including sightseeing stops.

Does the community have any thoughts on cool stops in Wyoming or Montana?

Thanks
    Willy

Default You're already at the limit

Welcome back to the RTA Forum!

Normally I would suggest looking at the RTA map center, however, you are looking at a trip that is already pushing 700 miles. I'm not sure which online mapping program is telling you that you could do this in 8 to 10 hours, but let me assure you, in the real world this is already a drive that will take a minimum of 12 hours, if your only stops are for gas, restrooms, and a quick bite to eat.

Default Real world driving.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You will not have time for anything other than basic stops to stretch your legs, clear your mind and fill with the gas tank and eat. You are already talking about a 12 hour trip sticking to Interstate with the correct amount of short rest breaks no matter what best case scenario looks like or a mapping program tells you. In the real world where we need these breaks, stop for fuel and see congestion and possibly construction, you would be a having a great day if you could average 60mph over the course of it.

I see Michael had replied while I was typing.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-15-2016 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Slow fingers

I have a habit of over estimating my driving abilities :) I think you guys are right, this will be closer to a 12 hour trip leaving very little time for anything other than driving. Thanks for replies guys!

The 80 mph speed limit up I-25 north of Cheyenne may help some but at the expense of greater fuel consumption. Little Bighorn battlefield is along the way but you might not have the time.

Default Time to get off the interstates.

A little more time would also give you the opportunity to get respite from the 80mph traffic, and take one of the scenic routes through the Big Horn Mountains. Alt US-14 in particular is a magnificent drive over the high plains where wildlife abounds and enjoy the short walks to the Medicine Wheel and the Big Horn Canyon.

If this is a round trip, you could take the interstates one way, and enjoy some of the best these States have to offer on the way back.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    A little more time would also give you the opportunity to get respite from the 80mph traffic, and take one of the scenic routes through the Big Horn Mountains. Alt US-14 in particular is a magnificent drive over the high plains where wildlife abounds and enjoy the short walks to the Medicine Wheel and the Big Horn Canyon.

If this is a round trip, you could take the interstates one way, and enjoy some of the best these States have to offer on the way back.

Lifey
    That's a great idea. Take the interstate one way and the scenic route the other way. I may take the longer and slower way on the way there since we really wont be pressed for time.

Thank you for the tips.

I'm confused, if you aren't pressed for time, why are you planning to drive 700 miles on Saturday, spend just one day at your destination, and then drive 700 miles back home on Monday?

If that's not the definition of a "pressed for time" trip, I don't know what is. If you're planning to do this trip in a single day, then the Interstates really are you only option (and FWIW, even that's actually more than professional drivers are allowed to do because of safety laws).

The trip turned out to be not that bad and believe it or not when we arrived home we really were refreshed. We left Saturday morning at 6:30 am. Along the way we stopped a few times for gas, bathroom, and leg stretching breaks. We made one longish stop in Montana and that was to see the Little Big Horn Battlefield. We spent about an hour there. We arrived in Livingston at 5:15pm, just under 11 hours after we left Denver.

The drive back saw less stops. We left Livingston Monday at 6:15pm and arrived in Denver at 4:15. Stops were gas, bathroom, and 15 minute rest breaks here and there.

Would I do it again? Probably not, but it wasn't as horrible as I was expecting.

Our next road trip will be to visit the in-laws in Kentucky. That WILL BE as horrible as I'm expecting and I certainly will take my time driving there :)