Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Planning Road trip in mid of June 2016

Hi everyone, need your help, we are a family of four ( me, my wife, mom and dad) . We are planning a road trip in mid of june for 10 days and planning to visit denver, yellowstone, mt rushmore, las vegas, grand canyon national park and any other places if time permits. Our start and end place can be denver/las vegas/salt lake city(planning to book round trip to one city among this). We have never visited any of these places and not sure if this trip is doable in 10 days and not sure to start from which city. Any thoughts on if this trip is doable and which will be the best scenic routes and from which city to start ( as we plan to start and end at same location).

Thank you.

Default Limited by time.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It would already be rushed if you visited all the places listed, it's 5 solid days of driving from point to point and then add drive time around Yellowstone which is huge. To see the main attractions in Yellowstone takes a couple of days and you really need 3-4 days to fully do it justice, so that's a huge slice of your time accounted for. I would consider one of two things, either just concentrate on the Grand canyon and Yellowstone and use either Vegas or Salt lake city as your start and finish point, or choose between the two parks and explore the area you decide on in more depth. With Grand canyon you could do a loop from Vegas and include Monument valley, Bryce canyon and Zion and more. From Denver you could do Rushmore, Grand Tetons and perhaps Rocky mountain NP.

With several trips to Yellowstone and Grand Canyon under my belt, I can say that SWDave is correct in his statement "it would already be rushed if you visited all the places listed". On my first trip to Yellowstone, we were in the park for 4 days and didn't see everything. On my latest trip, we took 3 days and definitely did not see everything.

I would say, pick one city that Dave mentioned above, and create a loop trip around that. He had some ideas, and I'm sure we can all add things that are along that loop.

Donna

4. Default

Thanks for the information SouthWest Dave and DonnaR57. I didnt realize it will need more days for covering all the places that i thought of covering. I think i will make these changes to my original plan.

day1: vegas to yellowstone
    day2,3,4,5: Yellowstone
    day 6: yellowstone to grand canyon np
    day 7,8 : grand canyon np
    day 9: vegas
    day 10: fly back from vegas.

The problem with your plan is that it is more than a full day drive to get from Vegas to Yellowstone or from Yellowstone back to the Grand Canyon. Each of those drives requires at least a day and a half.

You could still do the loop in 10 days, but you just need to factor in more time for the drives. Alternatively, if Vegas is not a must stop, you could fly in/out of Salt Lake City, which would save you some miles and potentially give you the chance to see some of the other National Parks in the area, including Grand Teton, Bryce Canyon, or Zion NPs.

Visiting the North rim of the National park is an option that would reduce your miles, but you will still need overnight breaks as Michael mentioned. Break the journey to Yellowstone [or vice versa] and then drive through Jackson and into the Tetons on the way in to Yellowstone. You could use parts of US89, so you don't head up and down Interstate. On the way home if you left Yellowstone mid afternoon and made you way to somewhere like Pocatello for the night you could possibly stay in Springdale the next night and visit Zion NP.

Let me pass on some further information, because Michael and Dave are correct that there are places in your new schedule where you're attempting too much.

Via the *shortest* route, Vegas to Yellowstone (up I-15 and over to Yellowstone via US-20) is 790 miles. We generally recommend that folks do no more than 600 miles per day***, which is what commercial drivers are governed at. After 10 hours on the road, your body is too tired and your reaction times are slower. So that is about a day and a third on the road.

Yellowstone to Grand Canyon, also via the shortest, almost all interstate route, is 850 miles. Once again, that's about a day and a half on the road. Bryce Canyon is 617 miles.

Donna

[Moderator edit: Actually the maximum miles per day that we recommend is 500-550. Anything over 551 miles is simply too many miles to drive in a day _ And this is beautiful country so an ideal distance would be about 375 miles in a day]
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-15-2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: as per Forum policy

8. Default

With all the inputs from you guys and after some research, I think my trip plan is going to be something like this.

day 1: salt lake city to yellowstone
    day 2,3,4,5 : yellowstone
    day 6: yellowstone to mt rushmore
    day 7: mt rushmore
    day 8: mt rushmore to denver
    day 9: visiting places nearby denver,co
    day 10: fly back from denver

That is a plan that could work, however, I would look into how much it will cost you. One way trips can be very expensive, especially when it comes to car rental costs.

If day 1 includes a flight into SLC, then getting to Yellowstone the same day may be a bit too much. Either way, you might consider starting by heading towards Jackson, WY, and spending a day in Grand Teton before you head into Yellowstone.

10. Default

Thanks Midwest Michael for the reply and i am flying to salt lake city on june 9th and i have counted my day1 as june 10th. I think i am ok with the cost as it is saving on the road travel. I am goigng to visit grand teton in my four days at yellowstone

Can you tell me which are the best scenic routes in my drive and must see places in colorado?.