1. Default Portland, OR to Las Vegas

I was wondering what to see and the best route to take down the coast to get from Portland to Las Vegas from Saturday evening to Wednesday is it possible.

Default Lots of places where you can find that information.

Hi Jesse and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

It is definitely possible, just depends on how much sightseeing you want to fit in, and your style of travelling.

Having driven only a part of this route, I am probably not the best to tell you details. Much also depends on your interests, which you do not mention.

There are however several ways for you to find out. The most important is, get hold of some good maps or a road atlas. You will find that most of the attractions and all the routes and towns and parks, etc., are marked on them. What comes to my mind is the Avenue of Giants, and Cape Mendicino, the most westerly point of the 48 States. But that is as far as I went along the coast.

You could also use the web by searching the route numbers - e.g. US-101 - and search around this site. In the Field Reports Forum there are several reports which have taken, if not all, most of that route.

Happy planning.

Lifey

3. Default

I like all kinds of site seeing we had planned on going through redwood np and hitting the coast from there I had also planned on going through San Francisco and thenot down to los Angeles to stay a night with a friend and then to Las Vegas Wednesday morning. We had planned on setting up at camp sites every night if possible

Default Humboldt Redwoods State Park and PCH.

Can help with the Pacific Coast Highway - a spectacular drive. Be aware though that taking CA1 from SF to LA is a full two days drive, with lots of stops at the scenic overviews and other natural attractions.

Look also at Humboldt Redwoods State Park and the magnificent Avenue of giants. Many great short hikes there. Nothing like having lunch sitting under the centuries old trees and comparing the insignificance of us humans on this planet to those magnificent trees. What stories they could tell.

Lifey

You have time to meander down the coast and enjoy the sights. On the North side of the Golden gate bridge I would recommend you drive up Conzelman road towards the Marin headlands for great views of the bridge and Bay area, weather permitting. Just after Klamath you can take the scenic detour through Prairie creek on the Newton B Drury scenic parkway, it add very little time. There is a nice Victorian town called Ferndale CA which makes a pleasant little detour near Fortuna. From Leggett you have the choice to continue on the slower but more scenic CA1 that hugs the coast, or continue on 101 depending on time. From SF you want to have time time to take CA1 around Big Sur and as mentioned above, you would need at least one overnight stop to do that section.

6. Default

How is it 2 days from SF to LA I don't see it taking that long does anyone have any good campsites along the way

I don't think you appreciate just how slow going it will be to travel along the coast. Your average speeds are going to be around 30 mph - which means the 500 mile trip will take about 17 hours, plus time for sightseeing. That's why it's a 2 day trip.

You can easily make it from SF to LA in as little as 7 hours, but that's taking the shorter and faster I-5.

Default It is slow going.

the PCH is a narrow twisting road with a slow speed, which will see you on the road for two days between SF and LA.

Popular overnight spots are between San Simeon and Morrow Bay. There are campsites in the State Parks along the way, but I do not have first hand experience of them.

Lifey

When is this trip? The reason I ask, is because coastal campgrounds in California reserve up *very* quickly, leaving only a few first-come, first-served spaces. This is especially true on weekends. You posted this in the Spring trips, but "summer" is almost upon us, so campsites are starting to book up for weekdays, too.

Yes, the PCH between SF and LA is very slow-going. If you absolutely need to get from SF to LA in one day, then you only really have two choices: the 101 and the 5. The 5 is a lot faster than the 101.

Donna

10. Default

The trip is actually next Saturday and we already have one campsite in redwood