1. Default Grand Canyon for cheap

I want to go to the GC. I drive a Honda and i'm coming from MN. I have traveled quite a bit in my car and don't mind sleeping in it when I road trip to save money. Can you use those KOA places to sleep in your car?

Yes, but it will cost you as much as a cheap motel room. If you must sleep in the car, do it at a truck stop with permission.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Campgrounds are good choices to spend the night even if you only sleep in the car (although getting a tent will make your trip far more comfortable), however, private campground - especially the KOA chain, tend to be quite expensive. Public campgrounds (state parks, national forests, national parks, etc) are often a much less expensive option.

If you intend to 'camp' at the Grand canyon it would be wise to book a site asap. Mather campground is near the village and it's an easy walk to the rim.

KOA's and other privately-owned campgrounds may try to "sell you up" if they have the capability. In your case, it would be to try to sell you into a Kamping Kabin (at KOA), which (as said above) could cost you as much as a cheap motel. Even if you insisted on a tent site, thinking that you'll sleep in your car, they are providing you with restroom and shower facilities, and a convenient store. Those things cost money, which the business passes along to you.

I can't imagine sleeping in any sort of Honda and then trying to drive the next day. I would be sick of the vehicle at that point. You can pick up a tent, sleeping pad and mat pretty cheaply before you go, and spend nights at a public campground for anywhere from $10-25/night. That's loads cheaper than the $35-40 that a KOA will cost you (or more).

Donna

Default A bit of this and a bit of that.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    I can't imagine sleeping in any sort of Honda and then trying to drive the next day. I would be sick of the vehicle at that point. You can pick up a tent, sleeping pad and mat pretty cheaply before you go, and spend nights at a public campground for anywhere from $10-25/night. That's loads cheaper than the $35-40 that a KOA will cost you (or more).
    Whether sleeping in a car or in a tent, expect any campground near the Grand Canyon to be in the upper range of Donna's figures - if not more. None of them are close by, in fact most are quite some ways off.

If you choose to visit the North Rim of the GC - some of us regard it as even more spectacular than the South Rim, being no where near as crowded and 1000' higher, and still has all the necessary facilities such as the visitor centre, souvenir shop and store, great short hikes, etc. The road into the North Rim is a scenic drive, and there is affordable camping at Jacob's Creek, virtually right outside the park.

Each time I have visited the GC I have stayed in one of the wonderful and affordable hostels in Flagstaff. The drive in and out of park was enjoyable, both to the south entrance and the east entrance.

You may find that in some of the other places you stop your best bet would be a hostel. Where I camped in Moab, a tent site cost more than a bed at The Lazy Lizard.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    <snip, snip>
    I can't imagine sleeping in any sort of Honda and then trying to drive the next day. I would be sick of the vehicle at that point. <Snip>
    Donna
    I have rigged my Honda Odyssey with a "temporary" camper van mode that works out quite nicely. :) During my cross-country road trip last October, I had packed my tent but never once used it. Saved a lot of time from tent pitching and shut down, not to mention not having a damp and dirty tent to pack and stow.

The Odyssey is a van - that's easy. Sleeping in a Civic or Accord? Not so easy.

Honda Civic no way; the Honda Odyssey minivans can work out real well for van camping and the highway cruising is very nice as well. Not to mention the great turning radius!