Thread: Fast road trip

1. Default Fast road trip

I have to be in Oceanside Ca by noon on June 13th. Leaving Wisconsin late in the afternoon the 9th. Would like to see some interesting parts of the country. Drive to Yellowstone via Reno than down the east side of the Sierra range or go more direct and head directly south of Salt Lake city via Moab and than turn west to Oceanside? I know there will be very little out of the car time. Route back is already set in the saddle. Once drove from Jackson Hole to Sioux Falls SD via Tetons and Yellowstone Parks(212 to 120 to 14) in less than a 24 hours(long story).

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

To do this trip safely, you need a bare minimum of 3.5 days to get from "Wisconsin" (I guessed Madison) to Southern California. That's taking the direct route, on the Interstates, going via I-80/I-76/I-70/I-15. Going that way would give you about a half day to explore, and you really wouldn't be able to detour much off the interstates, but there are a lot of scenic things along that route you could pick from.

Going via Yellowstone simply is not possible on your timeline, at least not safely - meaning limiting yourself to a maximum of 600 freeway miles a day, which is roughly the legal limit for professional drivers and very much the absolute maximum a person can be in a car in a day, and still have the focus required to safely operate a 2 ton vehicle at 70+ mph. The detour to Yellowstone would mean you would need more than 4 days, factoring the extra miles, and the extra time just to drive through the park, even if you didn't stop.

Your previous "experience" does not mean that you are more capable of driving long distances than other people, it just means you've been lucky to this point. The effects of fatigue are extremely similar to that of driving drunk, and just as drunk driver may drive drunk 99 times before they get caught or get into a crash, it doesn't mean those first 99 attempts were safe.

3. Default

Thanks, I did not say I drove by myself on the last trip or would be driving by myself this time. two drivers this time.

Even with 2 drivers you are being way to optimistic and you are not really much better off. Fatigue can come from being a passenger in a car for long periods and when the first driver needs sleep who is going to keep an eye on the already fatigued second driver ? You either need more time or a rethink. Stay safe.

Probably one of the greatest, and most dangerous myths of safe travel is that you can drive significantly farther with two people in the car. First, simply sitting in a car for extended periods is fatiguing. Second, a passenger really should be assisting the driver - and engaging with them to ensure they are staying focused. With 2 drivers, the 600 mile rule of thumb is still important to follow.

In a professional setting, any time sitting in a passenger seat is treated the exact same way as being a driver. A second person has to actually be in a sleeper cab, separated from the driver, for it to count as "rest," and that's not really possible in an average car/truck.

6. Default

OK lets say I leave the Glarner Stube at 1 PM and use maybe the 8th wonder of the world before heading out. Stop in Kearney NE. Day 2 head out and stop at either the Black Hat Cattle Co or Smokin Yard's BBQ for lunch and stay in Glenwood Springs. Day 3 is were I need advice. It looks like you can get off the interstate and drive some back roads to or through/by some of the national parks with adding some mileage but more time. Stay in St. George. Day 4 heading to Palm Springs and again need some advice on alt. routes off the interstate, like do you get off on 167 and drive along Lake Mead. Than a short drive to Oceanside on Monday. Is there a great route from Palm Springs to Oceanside that takes 4-5 hours? I think this falls into the 600 mile/10 hour rule. Any advice?

Is there a great route from Palm Springs to Oceanside that takes 4-5 hours?
    Really pretty drive, probably in that time frame:

Take CA-111 from Palm Springs over to Palm Desert. There, catch CA-74 through the mountains and then CA-371 to Aguanga. From there, take CA-79 over to Temecula, where you catch I-15 south. Go over Rainbow Pass, cross under the Fallbrook Arch Bridge, then catch CA-76 west to Oceanside at exit 46. (You're only on the 15 for about 12 miles.)

If you wanted something even more scenic, still catch CA-111 to Palm Desert, CA-74 and CA-371 to Aguanga. But instead of catching CA-79 over to Temecula, go the OTHER way on CA-79 and go through Warner Springs. At CA-76, turn west again toward Palomar Mountain -- if your time is working for you, you can take S-6 up Palomar. If not, keep on moving through Pauma Valley and Pala. Cross the 15 and keep on going -- 76 takes you right into Oceanside.

Palm Springs to Oceanside is ordinarily around a 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hour drive anyway, depending on the traffic you get, by the shortest route. If you find yourself in a hurry, take the 10 to the 60 west, then south on the 215. It will merge you into the 15, where you stay until you see that same exit for CA-76. Head west into Oceanside.

Donna the San Diego local

Default Very scenic but not particularly fast.

The CA74 is a wonderful drive, but not exactly fast. It is a good two lane road with lots of turns and twists. and some truck traffic. The views and scenery make up for the lack of speed.

Lifey

He asked for something that could be done in 4-5 hours. So I took 74's winding road status into consideration when I recommended it.

Donna

10. Default

Thanks, I like anything like Tail of the Dragon, curves and a speed limit that lets you enjoy driving.