1. Default Coast to Coast West to East

I'm looking to start planning a Spring road trip across America from West to East starting in Seattle working my way down the east coast before then zig zagging across the US hitting a majority of states, having a mid point in Michigan where I'm going to be having a few days in Canada before coming back down and then doing the East side ending in Philidelphia. Now I have a basic Road State road map which has most of the major routes and roads from main town and cities to each other. Looking to find the best way to do this do I do it state by state I want to hit? Or do it stage by stage?

I'm looking at 6 weeks worth to do this in, driving myself with a friend and doing it cheap as possible hitting major landmarks and sights, as well as my hobby being Retro Video Games hitting all possible video game stores! (Reason why I'm skimping on food etc lol)

Default Building blocks.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There is no right or wrong way to start planning a trip, it tends to change direction and focus a few times before you get a good picture of what you want to do. I guess you are going to be heading down the WEST coast from Seattle and then across country. The way I usually start is to mark out my 'must see's' on the map, no matter where they are, and then see how I can connect the dots, there will be many options and you sometimes find better alternatives and some might go on 'another time' list.

Now as you are planning a one way trip I am presuming you will be renting a car. If so that will have a rather hefty one way drop off fee attached to it. As you say you are Zig Zagging across the country, have you considered making this a round trip and do a loop out and back. It's sometimes surprising how few miles it might add rather than keep going up and down. It could save you money and you might actually get to see more places than you might on a one way trip. You have the time so it's certainly worthy of consideration.

3. Default

Oh i never even thought about the high drop off fee i assumed it would be a case of just returning it to the vendor. If thats the case i might do a East Circle East as im coming from the United Kingdom and save myself a lot of money in those fee's and take that in to extra spending money/petrol/food. Ive got a few guidebook coming for a base to go off with planning. Thanks!

The flights into the east coast will also be much cheaper, and shorter. Win, win !

Go to rentalcars.com and see just how much a one way will cost as opposed to a round trip. I just checked - a 6 week rental in Seattle for return in Philadelphia is about $1000 more than a 6 week rental in Philadelphia round trip.

6. Default

Well looking at Flights it around £500 either choice i make, flying London to either Philadelphia or Seattle.

As for Cars im getting it at around £1100 from Seattle to Phili or Phili to Seattle and £850 for a round trip. Im going to have to shop around i think for that one to make it cheap as possible.

You may get a better airfare from London to NYC than Philly. Also check Boston and DC.