Thread: Food costs?

1. Default Food costs?

We are driving our Model S which will not cost us a dime for fuel, but the food is something I just can't get around.....

How can we approximate the cost of food if we generally shop in bulk and have food in the car. Dining from time to time.

We are looking to travel from central Mass to Yellowstone NP. Anybody ever done this drive?

New to this community but looking forward to many drives in the future.

JManning

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Food is difficult to give a generic cost estimate on, because it can really vary quite a lot, depending upon what you want to do for meals. You can be as little as $15 a day on a shoestring, never eat out, beans and rice type budget, to 10 times that by exploring fine dining on the road.

Probably the easiest way to think of things, is to look at what you already typically budget for food for a starting point. Eating on the road is a little more expensive, because you are a little more limited for cooking options and you'll probably eat out a bit more, but generally, the cost of the food itself doesn't change all that much.

Welcome to RTA!

Assuming you live in the US, grocery and restaurant costs are pretty much similar everywhere. Only you know what type of food you prefer to buy and what kind of restaurants you prefer.

One way to save is take advantage of the free basic breakfasts in most hotels.

Welcome to RTA!

Since all of our cars are "oldies but goodies", I have no idea what you mean by a Model S and no fuel costs, but more power to you. Figuratively and literally. :-)

Food costs -- generally, if you would go out to eat periodically at home for dinner, you can pretty well figure out what to budget per meal on a trip. It will depend on what style restaurants you like, too -- a family place will generally cost you less than your go-out-to-celebrate type place. My husband and I budget $40-50 for two people per dinner meal, $25 for a breakfast out. We rarely eat lunch out, and always carry our own snacks and drinks in the vehicle. (But then again, we travel in a pickup with a camper shell.)

In regards to food in the car, you'll probably have to budget at grocery store prices. You may be able to start out with stuff in your vehicle from your favorite warehouse club, but once you run out, you'll have to resupply at a local grocery store, Walmart or Target.

As for whether any of us have done the trip from MA to Yellowstone, the regulars and moderators here have traveled many, many thousands of miles. While we may have not done the exact routes that you plan to, we may have been on the roads at one time or another. For instance, the shortest route for you may be to get on 90 and stay there until it splits, and then take 80 across. I've never done that all on the same trip, but have been on those routes over 5 or 6 trips, and my husband spent quite a few weeks on 80 as a commercial driver.

How long as you planning to take for this trip?

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Since all of our cars are "oldies but goodies", I have no idea what you mean by a Model S and no fuel costs, but more power to you. Figuratively and literally. :-)
    They've got a Tesla.

I am curious how that will work for a long distance trip, especially in regards to finding places to recharge....

Default Real world facts.

Even a Tesla has fuel costs, unless you can con someone to pay for your electricity recharge. But then you may have solar panels on the roof?

Depending on where in Mass you start, sticking to I-90 is not necessarily the shortest way. There are several interstates (I-84, I-88) which cut diagonally from I-90 to I-80, reducing time and miles. Besides both are much more pleasant to drive than I-90..... especially I-88.

When it comes to food, I try to keep mine to less than $15 day, but then I do not particularly like eating in restaurants. (In 2014 it was $12.)

Lifey

Looking at that map, I'd say that the vast majority of those charging stations are located along interstates. What do you do if you are traveling in a national park, using a more rural routing method, etc.? I'm thinking that charging stations might be found, but perhaps...not exactly free.

Donna

Default Free?

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic View Post
    ... to get fast free charges.
    Only the sun shines for free, everything else is paid for by someone - even if not by you.

It's like places which offer free wifi, for which they pay dearly.

Lifey