Default So' Cal' to Eugene, OR via US-395 in July

I've taken US-395 north as far as the Lake Tahoe area, but the area north of there is terra incognita to me.

Are there any places you recommend seeing along US-395 further north? Is there anything worth going to along US-395 between Valley Falls and Riley, or are there better things to see along OR-31 by cutting over to La Pine?

Thanks!

Default What's the big picture ?

I'm not 100% sure whether you are headed to Riley in any case, or whether you are asking if it's worth the detour ? Also, how much time do you have to get from Lake Tahoe to Eugene ?

With time you could continue on US89 and enter Lassen Volcanic park and visit Burney Falls after. You would also have the opportunity to visit Crater Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I'm not 100% sure whether you are headed to Riley in any case, or whether you are asking if it's worth the detour ? Also, how much time do you have to get from Lake Tahoe to Eugene ?

With time you could continue on US89 and enter Lassen Volcanic park and visit Burney Falls after. You would also have the opportunity to visit Crater Lake.
    We did the US-89 drive on our way back from Bend years ago, so I'd like to take a new route.

The whole trip will be about 10 days. I plan to see my brother in Eugene and then drive back via a shorter route. We may consider seeing Oregon Caves National Monument, continuing west to US-101 south, taking CA-299 to Weaverville, and then back down I-5. Another option to to take I-5 from Eugene down past Yreka, taking CA-3 to Weaverville, and then back to I-5 south at Redding. I'd like to add Weaverville to the itinerary to see the oldest joss house (Taoist temple) in the US.

BTW, I am asking if the Riley detour is worth it.
    Last edited by shirohniichan; 05-04-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added to answer