1. Default Long Island to Niagara Falls

Hi. My husband and I are planning our first road trip ever and want to spend a week this summer driving around New York State, starting in Long Island and ending up at Niagara Falls before heading back to Long Island. We will have 9 days in total and would like to see a lot but don't want to be on the road driving every day, staying at a new place every night, so recommendations of where to stay put for a couple of nights would be most welcomed.

South of England.

Default Welcome.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I am sorry to say I am not familiar with these parts but hopefully someone will be along soon with some suggestions. In the meanwhile I would recommend you search the forums for ideas. In fact if you scroll down this page you will find 'Similar threads' and then repeat as many times as you wish. Also check out other areas of the site using the tool bars above or the blue box at the bottom of the page. You can find attractions and routes and combine both using the RTA Map centre.

Melbourne, Australia

Default NY has some great maps.

A few years ago I spent quite a few days in upstate NY. However, I kept on the move, following some of the extremely detailed maps the State of NY publishes. If you have an office nearby, I would get hold of some of these. My trip was in September and even camping accommodation was mostly closed. But I did see some lovely and scenic areas.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Few Stops, A Few Days Each

Let me suggest a basic plan, with some specific recommendations, that you can alter as needed to fit your own tastes. The basic plan would be to drive a comfortable half day to a central New York location, spend a few days there, then continue on to Niagara Falls and spend a few days there. Then repeat the process on the, covering half the distance, setting up for a few days, and then completing the drive home. That way, you're never stuck in the car for long, you get to make relatively short day trips from your three 'base camps', and you only have to pack up three times over the entire course of your trip. This is a style of travel that my wife and I have used several times to great effect.

For specific recommendations, I would point to somewhere along the southern ends of the finger lakes for one mid-way stop and somewhere along the northern ends for the other, say Ithaca and Auburn. Possible day trips out of each would be

Ithaca: Taughannock Falls State Park, Watkins Glen State Park, National Soaring Museum in Elmira, Finger Lakes National Forest, Cornell Campus, Watkins Glen Motor Speedway, wineries, etc.

Niagara Falls: The falls (of course), Buckhorn Island State Park, Fort Niagara State Park, and (if your passports are in order) on the Canadian side: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Fort George National Historic Site, the Welland Canal, etc.

Auburn: Erie Canal, Women's Rights National Historical Park in Seneca Falls, Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, Chimney Bluffs State Park, Sonneberg Gardens, Cayuga Lake State Park, etc.

Those lists are not meant to be exhaustive, just to give you an idea of some of the things that would be available to you for each of your three restful three-day (or so) stays. You could easily choose other home locations, attractions to be visited, or timing arrangements.

5. Default

Thank you! You make some good suggestions and a good place to start with our planning. We are hoping to avoid very touristy and crowded stops, except, of course, Niagara Falls. Any other specific recommendations are most welcome.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-04-2016 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Removed complete quote of previous response

Melbourne, Australia

Default Get there early.

Get there early and it won't be so crowded, parking will be easier and you will have shorter queues for the Maid of the Mist.

If you have passports you can also go to the Canadian side which are generally regarded as the better view. There is an IMAX theatre there which shows a history of the Falls - quite interesting.