1. Default Colorado Highway 550 from New Mexico to Montrose Colorado

Making the trip in mid-May. Any tips you can give me?

Welcome to RTA!

It's beautiful! What kind of tips are you looking for? Are you going to be towing anything?

I was corrected when we pulled into Montrose, years back. It is pronounced Mont-rose, rather than Mon-trose. :-)

Donna

Default More info please.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It will help if you can give us more info, like where you are starting out from and if it's a day trip or whether you have several days. The drive through the 'Million dollar highway' section is amazing, great scenery and the mountain towns of Silverton and Ouray to enjoy. From Durango you could get the mountain train to Silverton for a lovely journey. If you are headed back the same way you could detour and take 62 from Ridgway to Placerville and then to the lovely town of Telluride and through Rico to Dolores and back to Durango. The loop from Durango to Ridgway, Telluride, Cortez and back to Durango is also known as the 'San Juan Skyway'. Two nearby National parks worth a visit are Black canyon of the Gunnison and Mesa Verde.

I just drove it last week! It is a beautiful drive, and like others, without knowing anything else about your trip we can't provide much in the way of details, however I will note that many of the shops and stores in the tourist towns like Silverton and Ouray will likely still be closed as it is the slowest season of the year.

5. Default Thanks for the quick response!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I just drove it last week! It is a beautiful drive, and like others, without knowing anything else about your trip we can't provide much in the way of details, however I will note that many of the shops and stores in the tourist towns like Silverton and Ouray will likely still be closed as it is the slowest season of the year.
    We will not be towing anything and will be coming up from New Mexico as we head north towards our small ranch property in Montello Nevada. We won't have time to see any National Parks, just looking for some great mountain scenery as we pass through. Any towns have a decent Cafe? We like local places with character. We always travel during the slow season, the lack of crowds make the trip more enjoyable. How are the road conditions? What are the chances of hitting snow in the high elevations this time of year? Colorado sure is nice!

You'll have plenty of great mountain views on this drive.

The Durango Diner on Durango's historic Main Street is a fantastic greasy spoon that's my must stop breakfast place when I'm in town. The Green Chili Breakfast Burrito is my go to, but the plate-size pancakes are also fantastic.

Seeing snow wouldn't be out of the question. I saw at least a little snow every day I was there, although it was never so much that it caused any significant travel problems.

7. Default

Just got back, what a great drive it was! Thanks for the advice.