Default Backroads fun in northern & central Florida

We are planning to meet the kids and grandkids in Orlando on June 11th for 2 days of Disney World. (The grandkids and their parents will stay the week; my wife & I only want to spend 2 days at DW, as we've been b4.)

We would like to include some backroads fun or sites of interest going and coming from Charlotte to Orlando. (As a native of SC, with 35 years in Charlotte, we have hit almost everything in SC, NC, and most of GA. But the backroads of FL are sure to be interesting.

I did read a comment (on RTA) that Wakulla Springs was wonderful, and will study that. And, perhaps, Silver Springs. But there must be lots more...

Melbourne, Australia

Default Florida will give you that information.

Assuming you will be entering FL on I-95, the best thing you can do is call in at the Florida Welcome centre. There is a good map of Florida they will give you, showing all its attractions and scenic routes as well as your drink of orange juice. They also have a little booklet called "Florida been there, NOT done that."

It is full of the interesting little places most people never bother to go to and explore. If I had brought mine home, I could now go into more detail. Perhaps you can get hold of these before your trip.

Thanks, I will look for the booklet!

Southern California

Found the booklet on line for you. Hopefully it has some great ideas!

Tucson, AZ

Default Split the '5's

Obviously one thing you could do is take different routes south-and north-bound, and one of those routes could easily be along either the Atlantic or Gulf coast. But I suspect you've already done the Atlantic coast and besides, the traffic on the 'scenic' coastal route, A1A, can make it less than a pleasure to drive. If you're only looking for a scenic route from southern Georgia through Florida to Orlando, then I'd suggest that at least one of your legs should be south between I-95 and I-75. If you were to do this on your southbound leg, you could leave I-95 just north of Brunswick GA and take GA-99 over to US-92 then US-301 south. Then at Folkston, use GA-121 so as to get access to the Eastern Entrance to the Okefenokee Swamp National Wildlife Refuge and the Suwannee Canal Recreation Area. Returning to GA-121, continue south to FL-121. At Macclenny, take FL-228 south to get back on US-301 to Starke and then use FL-100 over to Palatka and the northern end of the Florida Black Bear Scenic Byway (basically FL-19 through the Ocala National Forest) down past Eustis to US-441 into Orlando.

It's important to note, however, that if you just stuck to the Interstates, Charlotte to Orlando would be a full day's drive, so taking the back roads and stopping to 'smell the roses' will turn it into a day and a half at least. You might want to just take it a bit easy on your first day, where you would just stick to the Interstates (although with stops) and spend the night in Savannah or Brunswick GA before setting off on your relaxed scenic drive the next day.

6. Default

Since you're asking for suggestions, blue springs state park is beautiful. You can snorkel the spring run, go tubing or take a boat ride down the river. You can camp or rent a rustic cabin that has a gas fireplace.

AZ, thank you for your comments and suggestions. We do have time to drift somewhat. (I hate I-26 between Cola and Orangeburg, and I often choose US 176, US 21 or US 321/301. I'm not a fan of I-95 either.)

Yes, we have been up and down the east coast to Key West; on the west coast to Naples with Charlotte, Cape Coral and Ft Myers; and have visited Pensacola, Destin, Panama City, Orlando, Tallahassee and some of the other bigger places in FL. But we've missed a lot of the middle lake and spring areas.

I'm very interested in Okefenokee and some of the Florida springs. I'm thinking that the mosquitos may carry us away if we enter the Okefenokee in early-to-mid June. (But, then again, in Costa Rican swamps, mosquitoes are infrequent due to the bird and bat populations.) Have you been to Okefenokee in the summer?

It looks like Blue Springs SP and Silver Springs SP for swimming and kayaking are good stops.