1. Default First family road trip. Need advice!

Family of 3. Son is 13 yrs old. Travel date 8/1 - 8/5 (give or take a few days before/after)
    We want to travel from Kansas City, MO to Florida or just to a place where there are nice beaches and entertainment within distance from hotel. I need suggestions! I'm assuming I would not want to drive more than 15 hours over a 2 day span. Suggestions and advice desparately needed

Tucson, AZ

Default Severely Limited

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With a 15 hour time limit on driving from Kansas City, the only places in Florida that are within reach are the Gulf beaches of the far western panhandle: Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach, or Panama City. That entire area is full of military bases: Pensacola Naval Air Station, Eglin Air Force Base, and Tyndal Air Force Base so there should be plenty of entertainment options. There are also a number of national, state and local beaches including Gulf Islands National Seashore, Henderson Beach State Park, Grayton Beach State Park, and St. Andrews State Park, as well as inland natural resources such as Apalachicola National Forest, Blackwater River State Forest and St. Vincent National Wildlife Refuge.

The drive down will be the same as far as Tupelo MS, but then will depend on where you decide to make your destination. From KC take US-71/MO-7/MO-13 to Springfield, then US-60 to Willow Springs and US-63 to Turrel AR. Use I-55 to cross the Mississippi and get to the south side of Memphis and take TN-175 to US-78 and Tupelo. As noted, your route beyond that will depend on where you decide to make your Florida home base.