1. Default 4 night LA to Boston, leaving 4/21/16

I just drove from Boston to LA, left Friday night and Arrived Sunday night. We stopped in the grand canyon along the way.
    Going back we're leaving Wednesday morning and need to arrive Sunday night. What's the best way to see at least two must see sights??
    I wanted to see general Sherman tree, old faithful, mount Rushmore, and I'm lost after that... Also it looks like roads don't connect like i hoped between general Sherman and old faithful... Along with Yellowstone roads may not be open? So my original plan has to much back tracking...
    What would you suggest? We can be heavy footed while driving and we (two of us) take shifts driving. Hopefully we can stop two nights at motels/hotels and spend two nights power napping in the car.
    Sounds hectic, and it is, but life doesn't always leave the time you need.

Thanks
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-19-2016 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Restored content deleted by user

Welcome to RTA!

Were you sharing the driving with a couple of other people, or just one other????? That's a bit....short.....for a cross-country jaunt like that, especially if it's just you and one other person. We usually don't recommend speed-runs like that for folks with only 2 drivers. It's just dangerous, to yourselves and to others on the highway with you. We know you'll do what you want to do, but you do need to be considerate of others on the road.

First off, you may as well just drop Yellowstone and Old Faithful from your trip. Yellowstone is still pretty much in winter mode until about mid-May. That will save you time that you really don't have. Going from Sequoia National Park up to Mount Rushmore is a long haul, and then you'd just stay on I-90 after that. Sequoia (home of General Sherman Tree) is about 250 miles from LA. Then it's another 1450 miles up to Mount Rushmore via CA-58, I-15, I-80, US-85, US-18. From Mt Rushmore to Boston is almost 2000 miles. This is 3600 miles total -- ordinarily, a 6-day, 600 miles/day trip for the more sane people. That's without scenic stops.

Warning: there were a lot of areas on I-90 that were heavily patrolled, either by cops on the road or by aerial surveillance. Heavy-footed can cost you time and money.

Donna

I'm sorry, but I think you've come to the wrong place.

You've already admitted that you drove in a totally reckless and homicidal fashion across the country once, and now not only are you planning to be just as reckless driving back, you want other people to help you add to the danger factor by giving you suggestions that will further take you away from what should be your goal of having a safe trip, getting a reasonable amount of rest, and not endangering the lives of everyone else who you are sharing the road with?

We can't stop you from doing what you've done and what you plan to do again. I imagine we won't be able to convince you of the FACT that what you did and what you are planning to do again is every bit as dangerous as driving drunk, and I'm fairly certain that you'll have some sort of excuse of why you are special and can do what no other human being can safely do, and tell us that we are being unreasonable for pointing out just how dangerous your behavior was and apparently will be in the future.

We can't stop from doing what you are going to do, but giving you ideas for places to stop and explore would make us every bit as complicit in your homicidal plans as if we were to hand a set of keys to someone who is stumbling drunk, and thus, I don't think you'll find much of what you are looking for on this forum.

Safe travels.

Default Safety over schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence C View Post
    I just drove from Boston to LA, left Friday night and Arrived Sunday night. We stopped in the grand canyon along the way.
    That was not only a foolish thing to do, it was incredibly dangerous. I am glad you made it, but want you to understand the seriousness of what you did, putting yourself and everyone else on the road in great danger. Even though you may not have felt tired, fatigue is an insiduous enemy, creeping up on you without you being aware of it. It affects your concentration and reaction to the extend as it would if you were DUI.

Professional drivers must take five days for this trip, with four overnight stops - that is without visiting the GC. Those regulations are in place because it is well known that fatigue (which cannot be avoided other than with adequate rest) is the cause of thousands of fatalities each year.

I have made the same trip several times and am aware of the routes, roads and time it takes to drive it safely. It may be worth taking the same route home, and actually seeing and enjoying all the sights you flew by on the way there, and see those you passed during the night.

Lifey

5. Default

Hope everyone practices what they preach
    Last edited by Pestilence C; 04-18-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Default You could not be more wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence C View Post
    ... it looks like there is nothing to see from there to Boston without adding major mileage, ...
    Having travelled from MN to Boston many, many times, I can assure you, there is a lot to see without taking on many miles. Get off I-90 at Erie PA and take I-86 and I-88 to the MassPike after Albany. It is a much more pleasant drive.

But what's the point if you are only going to fly past all of it, and not enjoy it. May as well pay for the NY Thruway and MassPike.

Lifey