1. Default Road trip from Nashville to San Bernardino?

I need some help! At the end of August/beginning of September my 1 year old and I will be traveling to San Bernardino to visit some family. I have never been out that way, and I will have just graduated cosmetology school so I am wanting to make a fun bonding trip out of it! We will be in California for 2 weeks and I figured we would take a week to drive out and a week to drive back. He does great in the car, so I'm not worried about that. I just have no idea what things are good to stop and see! I am really just looking for suggestions and if you think the week there and week back is enough to see some fun things! Things that would be fun for a young toddler would be good too! What routes would be best? And what is the cost? I'm trying to start planning now so I will have it al ready when the time comes! Thanks in advance!

South of England.

Default To get started.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The journey could be covered in 4 days so a week is a nice relaxed pace with a chance to sight see along the way. To be honest, fun for a toddler just means a bit of fresh air and a play in a park etc, so it's more a case of what would be fun for you and that will depend on your interests. A little research and studying a good map to see what stands out is a good place to start and I would recommend you look at a different route for each direction. The Grand canyon would be on most 'wish lists' and nearby Monument valley and there are some quirky route 66 towns like Seligman and Oatman as well as Winslow, Williams and Kingman and for something a little different you could stay in a Teepee at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook. You could drive through the Red rock country surrounding Sedona and possibly visit Joshua Tree NP. There are many options so do a little research and once you have some ideas we can help piece it together if needed. Use the search function and scroll down the page for 'Similar threads and repeat as often as you like. In the tool bars you will find many planning pages including the map centre where you can put in your route and search for RTA attractions. Enjoy the planning !

Melbourne, Australia

Default A pleasant trip.

Over seven days, you could easily de this restricting yourself to 300 miles a day. You won't need to be on the road too early each morning and will be able to stop long before the little one gets grumpy. It will also give you time to get off the interstates and use much of the old US highway system which takes you through all the small towns along the way. Almost every small town has a park with a playground.

It could be advantageous if you book your accommodation before hand so that you have a definite destination to head for. Look at places about 300 miles apart, which will get ytou to San Bernardino around lunch time on the last day.

Be sure you have good maps or a road atlas to help you plan and when on the road. Check the maps each morning to decide which routes you will follow. I like to write them down and stick it on the dash, so I do not constantly have to stop to check the map.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

Do you have paper maps, a good atlas, or a large map of the US? Any of the 3 will help you make some decisions on which route to take out and which to take on the way back. As suggested above, a loop would be good, taking a different way in each direction.

You'll want to take a Pack-n-Play or similar, for your wee one. My daughter commented last summer on how few motels seemed to have one available, and even if they did, you never know what condition they're in (and they may not have been cleaned, since they're an after-thought).