Thread: Tx to Cali

1. Default Tx to Cali

Heading to California in June. Been on this trip 2x already. Would like to add something new to it. We leave from Paris tx area and get up to i40 in Albiquerque nm. We want to do Grand Canyon. Any difference in which area to see at Grand Canyon (north, south)? Any other things suggested to see. We're going to Bakersfield ca. As soon as you cross the state line into Cali it sure isn't as pretty to see. I was debating to fly this time, but since no hurry this time we can do so much stuff with the cost difference.

My husband enjoys historical, western and syfy things. What about Route 66 stops? Any suggestions where?

Default Time to wander ?

Hello and welcome to RTA !

How much times is "No hurry" ? Both rims are spectacular but the south rim is on more of a direct route. If it's a round trip and you had the time you could do both, one in each direction. From Albu you could cut up through Farmington to Four corners and through Monument valley. If you went through Page to the North rim you would have Lake Powell, Antelope canyon and Horseshoe bend and could then visit Zion NP after GC. From the south rim you could take an old section of route 66 through Seligman to Kingman and maybe visit the Hoover dam. You could head from Kingman through the old '66 town of Seligman and see the wild Burro's wandering the streets, perhaps drive through Mojave National Preserve. From either rim, Vegas is an option and then you could drive across Death valley and past Lake Isabella to Bakersfield. If you had the time you could head north on US395 and into Yosemite on the Tioga Pass and then head south, there are just so many options depending on how much time you have and how far you are prepared to wander.

You could head from Kingman through the old '66 town of Seligman and see the wild Burro's wandering the streets
    That's Oatman, not Seligman. Well worth a visit if you have the time. Both sections (Seligman-Kingman and Kingman-Oatman-Topock) are definitely western and historical.

On CA-58 at Mojave, there's an aircraft boneyard - only open to the public one Saturday a month, but you can cruise around the perimeter road.

Thanks George, that was a typo on my part having already mentioned Seligman.

We want to do Grand Canyon. Any difference in which area to see at Grand Canyon (north, south)?
    Which rim....gosh, they both have so much going for them. The south rim is the most visited, because it is open year-round, and there is easy access from the beaten track (I-40). There are a lot of visitor services at the Rim, and just outside the park is the town of Tusayan, if you can't get (or afford) a room at the El Tovar, or the campsites and trailer park are full. You have the East Rim drive (you can drive your car) and the West Rim drive (you walk or ride the shuttle).

North Rim, OTOH, is less accessible. It's a long drive around, up 89, then alt-89, then AZ-67 south to the North Rim. There are far less services available, and that Rim is generally only open from May 15 to October 15 each year. BTW, it's about 250 miles from Williams (an hour south of the South Rim) up to the North Rim. You have to go around, there are no roads and no bridges (GOOD!) over the Grand Canyon. But this makes for a far quieter experience. Because it's at higher elevation, too, it's slightly cooler. Such different vistas await at the rim drive scenic points. I've been to the South Rim at least 3 or 4 times in my lifetime -- maybe more -- but the North Rim, only once. I'd go again, when the opportunity opens for me.

Donna

Default The North Rim and the sights along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    North Rim, OTOH, is less accessible. It's a long drive around, up 89, then alt-89, then AZ-67 south to the North Rim. There are far fewer services available ...
    Don't overlook all the other attractions on the way to the North Rim. If you are coming from TX you could head north long before Flagstaff, and visit Monument Valley (maybe also 4 corners) then head to the North Rim, via scenic 163 onto Alt 89. On the way you will have Marble Canyon, the Navajo bridge, Vermillion Cliffs and Lees Ferry, where you can walk right into the Colorado River. It's where they launch the raft trips through the canyon.

Not to overlook the incredibly scenic route over the Kaibab Plateau from Jacob Creek to the Park. As well as all that,the North Rim is around 1000' higher than the South Rim (that's why it is closed during winter), hence the canyon is much deeper.

The services which may not be at the north rim, are the services you can well do without. There is a great visitor centre, lodge and souvenir shop, among other services. And of course, even in summer parking is much easier as the crowds are smaller And there is no need to wait for a shuttle bus. You can drive to all the points and historic sites.

You will then also be on the road to make a visit to Zion NP, another one of these amazing places where you can enjoy the best the west has to offer. A walk along the Virgin River is an experience not to be missed.

Lifey