1. Default From Sacramento CA to Barnegat NJ

Hello everyone,

I am not sure where to post my question. I am sorry if I am in the wrong place, but I really need your help please. I am a woman who is not good at direction at all. I depend on my phone's map a lot for directions. I am thinking of driving to Barnegat, New Jersey from Sacramento, California with my lexus RX300 (2002, 78000 miles) and three hundred pounds of person belonging in it. I will enroll in AAA before my trip. I will drive by myself. I am not sure about this decision. I really need your suggestion/help. I have never been driving any where far, but after eShip transport company tried to rip me off for last minutes, I am thinking of going to do the driving, but my mom doesn't want me too and off course I am not sure about this decision. Please help me out. Everything is appreciated. Or if you know any good company who does the car transport. There are too many online, and I didn't have good experience with any of them especially Eship. Thank you so much for your help and your time!

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

There are several of us who have made solo trips across country. I made my first one at age 19, and while my parents weren't too thrilled about it, they helped me do it.

First thing -- get somebody to teach you to read a road map, if you don't know how. You might find it easier than you think. GPS's are fine, but they can also get you into trouble - sometimes, dangerous trouble.

The EASIEST way to get where you're going is to get on I-80 going east and then stay there. The only problem with this route is that it does take you over some toll roads (IN and OH), and through the south suburbs of Chicago. (If you don't do that part at rush hour, though, you'll be fine.) As a newbie, you probably won't want to drive more than 450 miles a day, so therefore it will take you about 6 days to get to Sacto.

Safety wise -- use precautions and the same instinct you'd use at home. If a place doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Put your belongings in the trunk if you can, keeping only non-valuable essentials in the vehicle with you. Stop every 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stretch, do some jumping jacks, walk all the way around a building-through a shopping center-around the rest area. When you check into a motel, you are within your rights to ask to see the room first, and inspect it for such features as safe locks, a working smoke alarm, etc. If you want to eat out, do it. When I travel solo, I often grab a bite to eat and take it back to my hotel room to enjoy it.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Solo roadtripping - good for the soul.

As already mentioned, get some good maps from AAA. They're free if you are a member. When you have them, you will find the advice in this paragraph most helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    By all means drive, don't get your car shipped. You might get your mother to read this thread, and this article - especially #7. Taking on a solo trip such as this is character and confidence building. Of course your mother will worry, but that is the role of mothers. Assure her each day that you are OK,and share with her the day's happenings. It will put her mind at ease, and make you feel better.

When you inspect a hotel/motel room be sure that it has a lock which cannot be opened from the outside, such as the chain or bolt lock.

I agree with Donna that if you keep to around 450 miles per day, you will have time to stop and enjoy those things along the way which really interest you, and venture off the interstates now and then to follow a more scenic route. (Scenic routes will be marked on your maps.)

As a solo roadtripper I always treat every place I go as home, and know that my instincts will tell me where to linger and when to leave.

In my glove compartment there is an envelope on the front of which it says - In case of Emergency, and inside are the names and contacts of my loved ones, a photo copy of my licence, my blood group, and anything else which may be needed should the worst happen. It is there as a bit of assistance for emergency workers, with the hope that it will never be needed.

4. Default

Thank you so much DonnaR57 and Lifemagician ... I forgot to ask which route should I take ? I am planning to go in May since I couldn't make it this month because of the BAD transport company. Is it ok to drive around with that much of stuff in my car? They are not in the trunk, I had the seats down and all the stuffs are there, but I am having blankets cover them. I am worrying about my car now because it is parked on the street :( but I had no other choices to left it behind there. It was my fault that I trusted the transport company. The transport company cheated me. They called me last day before my flight to NJ few hours and told me that they found driver for me but the price will be $500 more. I was so upset and hang up on that lady. I call her almost everyday to ask about the driver and that what she did to me and they have 5 STARS on Better Business Bureau ...I don't think those stars are truth.

Green County, Wisconsin

If you read the above answers, Donna and Lifey both already answered your route question.

Donna suggested using I-80 as your easiest option, and Lifey added that you should absolutely be looking at maps yourself to help decide for yourself where you want to go.

Obviously, having lots of stuff out in the open makes your car more of a target, especially when it's parked, but if you don't have any other options, then you don't have any other options.

Joplin MO

The easiest and most direct route involves a lot of toll roads. Take I-80 to Youngstown OH where I-80 exits the Ohio Turnpike. Stay on the turnpike which is now I-76. At Valley Forge PA I-76 exits the PA Turnpike, stay on the turnpike which is now I-276. Take that to the NJ Turnpike NORTH to I-195, take that EAST to the Garden State Parkway SOUTH to the Barnegat exit.

Note that you must follow the I-80 EAST signs all the way to Youngstown, this does involve taking a couple of exits from one road to another.

The total cash tolls will be about $80.00. If you aren't that directionally challenged, I can suggest an alternate routing that will cut out the majority of those tolls. However, if you can't read a map, you should just pay the tolls.

7. Default

Thank you Midwest Michael and glc. Yes, I just read all the answers. I didn't read Donna's answer before I posted my second question :) sorry. I was working and was in the hurry to thank everyone for helping me... Now I am home, can read all the answers .... Thank you everyone again for your help!