1. Default LA to Wisconsin in august

Hi, I'm new here. Going on a roadtrip from LA to Wisconsin with a friend this summer - will take about 10 days to get there. Want to see as much natural beauty as possible, as well as hit up real gems of towns (and cities if they are exceptional). We're 35 yrs old, yogi, artsy, wildish world travelers and want to see real America--diners, dive bars, great food, open road, beautiful parks. We've never traveled in an RV before, so wondering if anyone has any great recommendations for a company that lets you pick up in LA and drop off in Wisconsin (I can't seem to find one), or if that's even the best way to travel. Money isn't a huge concern, so we can also rent a car, stay in motels, hotels, airbnbs if that's easier / makes more sense. I'm also the only driver. Looking for really unique recommendations, off the beaten path gems. Thank you all so much!

Default You will need more money for the RV.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Money isn't a huge concern, so we can also rent a car, stay in motels, hotels,
    This makes it sound as though you think an RV will be the cheaper option when in fact it won't be for 2 people. By the time you add mileage charges, fuel costs, campground fees and other associated costs an RV will be more than a car and Hotels. As for natural beauty and gems of a town, well there are thousands of possibilities and this is where some research is needed as there is just too much for us to give meaningful suggestions until we know at least a basic route with a couple of dots on the map. You should start by studying a good map and searching the forums and other RTA planning pages for ideas but I think you will find much of what you are looking for through Arizona, Southern Utah and Colorado where there are plenty of National and State parks, wonderful mountain towns [check out the 'Million dollar Highway'] and scenic drives.

Once you have made a start we can help fill in the blanks, enjoy the planning !

Quote Originally Posted by EauClaire2016 View Post
    We've never traveled in an RV before, so wondering if anyone has any great recommendations for a company that lets you pick up in LA and drop off in Wisconsin (I can't seem to find one),
    Assuming based on your user name that you're heading to Eau Claire, Wisconsin, you'll probably have to drop the RV off in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Cruise America is one of the largest RV rental companies and has a location there. If you're heading to Southern Wisconsin, then a couple companies have locations in the Chicago area.

RV might not be the best option for your trip, as Dave mentioned, but if you plan to spend a lot of time exploring natural areas, it could work quite well. It really all depends upon how you like to travel.

Otherwise, as Dave indicated, the options for your trip are nearly endless. We frequently hear that people want to see "The Real America." The good news is that in all my years of travel, I've yet to find "The Fake America." When you're on the road, you'll quickly discover that everything in front of you is exactly what America is!

Default Some Options

Given your stated tastes and the assumption that you're headed for Eau Claire there are a few roads, places, and areas that you should be trying to include. The first is the 'Mighty 5' as you progress through Utah, then I-70 over the San Rafael Swell to Rocky Mountain National Park. Next you might want to use US-30 rather than I-70 along the Platte River in Nebraska to make it easier to stop in the small towns along the way as well as the sites associated with the old Oregon Trail. Then in western Iowa, there's the Loess Hills Scenic Byway north out of Council Bluffs along the Missouri River, and across southern Minnesota, there's the Minnesota River Valley Scenic Byway.

Besides those specifics, you should look into getting a National Parks Pass if you pan on visiting four or more national parks, and also explore some of our other national lands including forests and wildlife refuges.

AZBuck