Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Family road trip from SFO to LAS Aug 7th to Aug 26th

Hi all,

we are a family of 4 with two kids age 8 and 11 we will be flying into SFO on Aug the 7th stay 4 days there at a friend's house then from there is where my doubts start!!
    I would like to do from SFO
    2 days at Yosemite
    2 days at Sequoia
    then go to Death Valley but it is a long drive so probably stop half way
    Do you think I should stop 1 night in Death Valley?
    Then from Death Valley onto to LAS 1 night
    2 days at Bryce National park
    2 days in Page plus Lake Powell
    2 days Gran Canyon
    2 days LAS with Hoover Dam and fly back home on 26th of Aug

Please any advice. Also where to stay how to book and if its' all doable
    Also wanted to visit the ghost town of Bodie?? Is that on the way??

Where to buy the park pass?? Which park are there included in the park pass??

many thanks
    alex
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-05-2016 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Corrected Starting Point

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

If I were you, I'd start by going from SF to Sequoia, and then go back to Yosemite. That would allow you to drive over Tioga Pass and head more directly to Death Valley. Then you could either spend the night in DV, or stop at one of the towns along US-395, like Bishop or Lone Pine, and head onto Vegas through DV.

The National Parks Pass can be purchased when you arrive at your first National Park. It will cover the entry fees at any National Park, including Sequoia, Yosemite, Death Valley, Bryce Canyon, and the Grand Canyon. It doesn't include extra fees for things like camping or tours.

3. Default

Thanks that is very useful. Does it matter if I buy the tickets at the first park or online do I save any money?
    Any tips about where to stay in the parks? How many nights do you recommend at both parks?

Thanks

The parks pass is same price wherever you buy and is very straightforward to buy from first park. You could stay in one of the town's on US395 between Yosemite and DV like Mammoth or Bishop and drive through next day. The drive is very nice but summer temps in DV are extreme so your time out of the car will be limited. Bryce canyon is spectacular but it can be seen in a day quite comfortably. I would recommend visiting Zion NP where there are a good variety of walks.

If you can afford to stay within the parks it is worth it, especially for Sequoia and Yosemite. For Bryce there are a few hotels near the entrance, Ruby's Inn being popular. For Zion you could check out the lovely town of Springdale, again right by the entrance.

5. Default

Thanks Dave,

sorry I don't know what is Zion NP?

thanks

Zion is a National park [NP] which you could visit between Vegas and Bryce canyon.

Zion National Park is another one of the great parks of Southern Utah that would be on your route.

There is no advantage to buying the pass in advance. In fact, its generally better to wait. The one year clock starts when you buy the pass, so if you buy the pass when you arrive in August, it would be valid until the following August, saving you money if you considered making another trip next year.

Quote Originally Posted by alexpaladino View Post
    Thanks Dave,

sorry I don't know what is Zion NP?

thanks
    Zion NP

Lifey

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Zion National Park is another one of the great parks of Southern Utah that would be on your route.

There is no advantage to buying the pass in advance. In fact, its generally better to wait. The one year clock starts when you buy the pass, so if you buy the pass when you arrive in August, it would be valid until the following August, saving you money if you considered making another trip next year.
    Thanks for your reply would I be able to see the Zion park on my way to Bryce or Page?
    Any other tips about my itinerary and how many days to stay in each place?

many thanks
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexpaladino View Post
    Thanks for your reply would I be able to see the Zion park on my way to Bryce or Page?
    Any other tips about my itinerary and how many days to stay in each place?

many thanks
    Alex
    See post 6. ;-)