1. Default Indianapolis to Panama City Beach

What is the best route to take from Indianapolis to Panama City Beach Florida? We have three boys 13, 12 and six that we will be taking with us. And it's actually our first official long trip in the van. Is there anything really fun that we should take some time to stop at? And I have heard that we should try to avoid Atlanta as much as possible. Any advice on that?

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'd certainly recommend avoiding Atlanta, but that's mostly because Atlanta would be a pretty huge detour out of the way.

The direct route would be to take I-65 south to Montgomery. There are a few ways you could get from there to Panama City, but I'd probably take US-231 which is 4 lanes most of the way.

Note, this drive is more than 750 miles. In the real world, that's about 14 hours on the road, which is far more than we recommend in one day, especially when traveling with kids. It's also significantly farther than professional drivers are allowed to drive in a day because of safety rules.

As a 1.5 day drive, if you do the half day drive first, you'd want to get to Bowling Green or Nashville that first day. If you did a full day first, and the half day second, then you could look at Birmingham or Montgomery for an overnight.

The RTA Map Center can give you lots of ideas for places to stop based on your interests, but if your boys are interested in Science, the US Space and Rocket Center (SpaceCamp) is in Huntsville.

Joplin MO

I can also recommend US-231 from Montgomery, it's a good road.