1. Default Chicago to grand Canyon

Hi! I'm planning to go this month or maybe next month to the grand Canyon, but my problem is... I can't find available hotels close to the south rim, the closest one is like 230 Miles, to far! So I was thinking to rent a camping area on MATHER CAMPGROUND. I'm not a camping person, I don't have a tent, sleeping bag I don't have nothing! But my idea is sleep in the car and eat what's around the grand Canyon. Sounds crazy? Or somebody can give me a little advice plz. I'm going alone and I'm trying to go Friday to Monday. I never been on the grand Canyon before.

Thank you very much for the help.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm very confused by your post.

First, are you planning to Leave Chicago on Friday and be back on Monday? Unless you are flying, that's not even close to possible. At 1800 miles, you need 3 full days EACH WAY to safely drive there.

I'm also really confused about what you are looking at for hotels. It's possible that all of the lodging within the National Park would be filled, you should have no problem finding lots of hotels in Williams or Flagstaff, which are located about an hour away from the Park.

Sleeping in your car in April at the Grand Canyon is a very bad idea. At 8,000 feet of elevation, overnight temperatures could easily drop below freezing and without proper gear, that could put your life in danger. Sleeping with the engine running could easily kill you with carbon monoxide, so that's not an option either. Just as important, the Mather Campground is more likely to be filled up that the area hotels.

Default Accommodation.

The closest accommodation outside the national park is right by the south entrance in Tusayan AZ. I just put that city's name in the RTA motel search, at the top right of this page, with the dates of around the 15th to 19th April, and 36 hotels came up with prices ranging from $80 to more than $300. The furthest of those is 50 miles away. (an hour's drive.)

Wonder where you were looking.

Lifey

4. Default

First, are you planning to Leave Chicago on Friday and be back on Monday?
    Yes. I'm flying to the grand Canyon and renting a car on Phoenix airport.

I'm also really confused about what you are looking at for hotels
    I'm sorry, I will search for hotels first, I was searching for packages on cheap ticket.com and TripAdvisor and the hotels from those packages was to far from the south rim

Sleeping in your car in April at the Grand Canyon is a very bad idea. At 8,000 feet of elevation, overnight temperatures could easily drop below freezing
    Thanks for the advice, I will discard that option and start searching for hotels.

The closest accommodation outside the national park is right by the south entrance in Tusayan AZ. I just put that city's name in the RTA motel search, at the top right of this page, with the dates of around the 15th to 19th April, and 36 hotels came up with prices ranging from $80 to more than $300. The furthest of those is 50 miles away. (an hour's drive.)
    Thanks you, I will search in the RTA.

You could also check for availability at the Cameron Trading post which is located near to the east entrance along Desertview drive.

I suspect that when you were looking at packages, you were looking at airfare and hotel deals, and as such they were only looking in the Phoenix area.

If you just look for hotels you shouldn't have any issues at all, on RTA's reservation site, or any other travel site.