1. Default New York to Washington state road trip

Hi All,
    I am a newbie! Looking to do my dream USA road trip in September 2017.
    The plan is east coast to west coast ...... 3 weeks to do it.
    I want to hire a car in New York then from looking and plotting on the map service available on this website I have been thinking
    New York-Cleveland-Chicago-Minnesota-Milwaukee-badlands in South Dakota-Montana -Washington state. This is 2,832 miles which seems doable if we even take 300 miles per day that's 10 days.
    Does this all sound doable at that time of year? We have pretty much got Montana to Washington state sorted as my husband is from Seattle and we plan to end up at his mums and spend an additional week with her and then fly home from Seattle.
    I guess I want to know if the before bits sound ok with regards to seeing places of interest? And if I rent a car in New York it doesn't give me an option to drop off in Seattle ? Also looking to stay in motels but again this option isn't coming up only hotels. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated
    TIA

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The trip you've outlined is certainly possible, and September can be a fantastic time to travel cross country. You're past the summer crowds and heat, but the mountain areas that are impacted by an early winter are still open and comfortable to visit.

As far as your questions, I'm not really sure what you're asking.

All one way car rentals are going to be quite expensive, especially when you're talking about a cross country trip. That fee alone is likely going to add hundreds of dollars to your car rental costs. However, I don't have any idea about what you are talking about when you say "it doesn't give you an option to drop off in Seattle." What is the "it" you're referring too?

Similarly, your hotel/motel question has me equally confused. The terms hotel and motel are basically the same thing when using most online booking programs, so again, I really don't know what you are looking at that has you confused.

3. Default

Sorry, so under the section where it says car hire, motels etc I select car hire. I put in to pick up a hire car in New York and a 3 week time period to have the car. I then select to give the hired car back in Seattle. When I hit search it comes up with no results.

Default Make Sure You Do the Following

When you start entering your information on our car rental web page, make sure that you choose the "Different Location" option at the top of the reservation form. By default, the page starts with the "Same Location" option chosen, and will thus assume that you are going to return the car to the same place you pick it up.

AZBuck

I just searched for a car rental from JFK to SEA, September 6 through September 27, and it came up with 86 different cars. The cheapest one is $2600. I also checked from EWR because rentals in NJ are usually cheaper than NY, but not in this case.

When I am searching availability of lodging, I do one of three things. In Google, I use "City, State lodging" (for instance, "Flagstaff, AZ lodging"). Or I can use the Motel Finder on this page simply by putting in the city name. Or, when on the road, I've been known to go to TripAdvisor and put in the city there, using Motel/Hotel as the search.

Donna

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I just searched for a car rental from JFK to SEA, September 6 through September 27, and it came up with 86 different cars. The cheapest one is $2600. I also checked from EWR because rentals in NJ are usually cheaper than NY, but not in this case.
    Hi,
    Yes, I managed to get this info. It costs 1,400 GBP just for the car hire. Not taking into account flights to and from UK, motels and gas.
    Not sure if I will have to have a rethink.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    When I am searching availability of lodging, I do one of three things. In Google, I use "City, State lodging" (for instance, "Flagstaff, AZ lodging"). Or I can use the Motel Finder on this page simply by putting in the city name. Or, when on the road, I've been known to go to TripAdvisor and put in the city there, using Motel/Hotel as the search.

Donna
    Thank you, I will look into this.

Default Loop trip?

Yes, I managed to get this info. It costs 1,400 GBP just for the car hire. Not taking into account flights to and from UK, motels and gas. Not sure if I will have to have a rethink.
    You might want to consider a loop trip, starting and ending in the same city, rather than a one-way. Your vehicle rental costs will drop considerably, without that one-way-drop fee
    added.

Or, look into an overseas car rental consolidator, as they are often able to drop fees like the one-way drop, such as rentalcars.com.

Donna

10. Default

Thanks, I will look into this