Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default California to Florida

I will be driving from California to Florida with my family. Any advice on the safest route to take?
    Last edited by Eddie72; 04-01-2016 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to add

Default Where to Where?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I'm sorry, but there's simply no way that we can give you any meaningful advice with s little to go on. "California" and "Florida" are just too generalized for us to figure out where you're coming from or going to. Note that traveling from say Alturas to Jacksonville would entail an entirely different set of roads and even states than a journey from Calexico to Pensacola.

AZBuck

There are no "unsafe" routes as long as you stick to Interstate highways and other major roads. Are you just trying to get from point A to point B, or do you want to do some sightseeing? As Buck mentioned, please be more specific with the start and end points and tell us how many days you have to take the trip. Do you have a road atlas and/or a good set of maps?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    There are no "unsafe" routes as long as you stick to Interstate highways and other major roads. Are you just trying to get from point A to point B, or do you want to do some sightseeing? As Buck mentioned, please be more specific with the start and end points and tell us how many days you have to take the trip. Do you have a road atlas and/or a good set of maps?
    Driving from the Bay Area and final destination is Pembroke Pines Florida looking to get there in about 5 days. Have 2 kids under 10 so may do some minimal site seeing if time permits.

Simple entry to Google Maps for Oakland to Pembroke Pines indicates 3000 mi. The first route Google brings up is usually the shortest and fastest.

You have no time for sightseeing.

Default Your Only Choice

Five days is less than we would recommend for such a trip, particularly since it involves children who will require more stops, and more time at each stop, just for the basic necessities. However, if everyone realizes that there will be no 'pleasure' stops on this trip and can put up with five solid days in the car without getting on each others' nerves, then it is just possible.

The only route open to you is the most direct one, using Interstates as much as possible, and that is I-5 down to Bakersfield, CA-58 across to Barstow CA, I-40 to Amarillo TX, US-287 down to Dallas TX, I-20 east to Jackson MS, US-49 to Hattiesburg MS, US-98 to Mobile AL, I-10 into north central Florida, and finally I-75/Florida Turnpike/I-95 into the Miami area and Pembroke Pines.

It will also be a big help if you were to make your overnight reservations now. That will help you keep on pace knowing where you need to get to each night. More importantly it will save you from spending precious time on the road looking for a place to stay and either not finding any or spending more than you could have. You should start shopping now for appropriate lodgings in the following areas: Kingman AZ, Santa Rosa NM, Tyler TX and Pensacola FL.

AZBuck

7. Default

Thanks AZbuck very helpful, just to confirm the areas to lodge that you just mentioned, area they desisrble citires?

Default Desireable?

The fact is you have very little wiggle room and you are going to need to stay in or near those cities. In that sense they are not only 'desirable', they are necessarily the only places you can stay. Like all cities, they will have areas that more desirable, and others that are less desirable. That is why you should do your homework now, and figure out exactly what accommodations in what specific neighborhoods (or just near the highway) suit you.

AZBuck

Kingman AZ, Santa Rosa NM, Tyler TX and Pensacola FL.
    Kingman -- Exit 53 has any number of restaurants to choose from, plus about 17 different motels/hotels to choose from. Exit 51 has a few family type restaurants to choose fro, but only 1 lodge (Hampton Inn). If it were me, I'd choose something at Exit 53. My husband had reservations at the Super 8 (I think) at exit 53 a few years back.

Santa Rosa, NM - a few years ago, my husband and I looked at this place and realized that this was a town born because of either US-66 or I-40, one of the two. We stayed at the Quality Inn there and were quite happy. We ate down the road at the Santa Fe Grill (which I enjoyed), though the Quality was right next to the Silver Moon Cafe and across the street from a DQ.

Tyler - sorry, no recommendations. I've never stopped or stayed there.

Pensacola - we enjoyed eating at the Ryan's Cafeteria there, but I understand that the location we ate at is no longer open. They do have locations a little further along in Pace and Crestview. If you are familiar with either Old Country Buffet, or Hometown Buffet, it is similar. We did not stay overnight in Pensacola. Instead, we stayed in Wiggins, MS, and stopped in Pensacola at the Ryan's for breakfast since it was a weekend.

Donna

Note that the Florida Turnpike is toll, and does not accept cash south of Fort Lauderdale. At your first opportunity, cross over to I-95. That will be at Exit 152 near Fort Pierce. If you stay on the Turnpike, you will be billed for the toll plus an administrative charge being that you don't have a SunPass. They do it by license plate photos.