1. Default 5-10 day round trip from Las Vegas

Hi Roadtrip America!
    I would really appreciate your help. I am coming to Las Vegas for work in July and would like to use this as a starting point for a 7-10 day round trip into Arizona and Utah. There are a number of key places I want to visit:
    • Arches NP
    • Monument Valley
    • Lake Powell
    • Slot Canyons

I have visited Grand Canyon in the past, so I really want to spend time in new places.

My main question to you, the Forum, is which direction to travel! Do I go North from Vegas, and then East over to Arches NP? If so where else could I visit en route? Should I go to Zion? Where else could I stop between Zion and Arches?

Also, how long do you think I should spend in each place? I am very flexible on timing at the moment as I haven't booked my flights.

Finally, I am on a budget, so need some reasonable priced accommodation - this seems quite challenging in July! Can anyone recommend good places to stay near Arches and then Monument Valley? For Lake Powell/Slot Canyons, I think it will need to be Page... do you agree?

Sorry - hit the wrong button, hadn't quite finished!

All suggestions would be very, very gratefully received! I will be travelling on my own and I'm a keen photographer... just in case that influences any replies. I look forward to hearing from you all.

thank you very much!!
    Lucy
    Last edited by LSC123; 04-01-2016 at 01:55 AM. Reason: hadn't finished!

Default 5 or 10 ? BIG difference !

Hello and welcome to RTA !

I really don't think it matters which way around you go, unless you can find benefits such as lodging availability at the right price in a key area. Trying to find budget lodgings near to, or in a National park in summer is tough, all you can do is search. Have you considered camping, it could be answer to your budget concerns if you enjoy the outdoors.

If you make the time I think you should certainly include Zion, in my opinion it is nicer than Arches and closer to Vegas, but visiting both would be great. From Zion [if it's your first stop]you could head to Bryce canyon and then take UT scenic 12 through Capital Reef NP and UT24 to I70 and onto Arches, it's an amazing drive !! You should also consider the 'Islands in the sky' section of Canyonlands and Dead horse point not far from Arches. How long to stay in any one place is the same as asking "How long is a piece of string", you can spend a few hours or you could spend a week at any of these places, but I would recommend a night in Springdale to explore Zion the day you arrive and then much of the following day before heading to Bryce for the night. Bryce is quite easy to see and the best way to do it is to drive to the far end of the canyon and stop at the viewpoints on the way back, putting them all on your side of the road. From Bryce you could head direct to Moab, or stop again to take the scenic drive through Capitol Reef and then you would need a couple of nights around Moab to see Canyonlands and Arches. One night around Monument valley and a couple in Page area for exploring should see you OK, but adjust to suit your needs. If you visit all the above parks then it would be wise to purchase the NP's annual pass for $80 at the first park you enter.

One thought. If you haven't been to the GC North rim it would be worth the effort for a different perspective, there are some nice cabins at Jacob Lake.

3. Default

Hi Southwest Dave!

Thank you so much for such a quick reply and your great ideas. I shall do some more research! With your suggestions of Bryce and Scenic 12, I shall definitely go that way 'round' as I'd like to end up doing the Slot Canyons last.

Do you have any suggestions for "must do's" at Zion - there seems to be so much... I'm fit but don't want anything too strenuous. Would I get very wet doing The Narrows in July?

More research to follow and I might come back with some more questions, if that's ok?! :)

thanks again
    Lucy

Default When in July will make a big difference.

July can cause some problems, depending on when you plan to arrive. If it is the week of the 4rh July, accommodation will not only be quite expensive, but could well be hard to find. It is their biggest holiday, and many people go on vacation not just for that weekend.

So if it is later in July, you may be better of.

As to what to do in Zion..... you will know from your visit to the GC that you are handed maps and information sheets on entry, and those rangers will also answer any questions you have, and advice you on which is best for you once they know what you are looking for.

As above, I would highly recommend Zion - and if you choose to stay a little further out, rather than right by the park, there are campgrounds with cabins. I think it was in Virgin where I stayed many years ago. For Bryce, go to the visitor centre and watch the video. Then drive to the end, and pull in to all the viewpoints on your way back. I was going to suggest some cabins in a State Park nearby, but have only just learned that they are closed.

For Arches your best stay is Moab. There is a hostel there, which in 2014 was $21 per night in a dorm room, (was $8 in 2001 when I stayed there). You might find some hostels in other places along your route. I know there are several in LV and Flagstaff. Might be more in other places. Otherwise you will find that the people at the visitor centres in most towns will be able to direct you to campgrounds where they have cabins - which are among the most budget friendly accommodation.

Do you have any good maps from your last trip. That would be handy, as they would show you all the other places there are, which are not necessarily seen on computer maps.

Lifey

5. Default

Hi Lifey

Thank you so much for your message and the tips, especially for Bryce.

I have to admit it was 30 odd years ago that I was at GC, so some things will have changed! Great tip on cabins at campgrounds - that might be a good option. I'm afraid I'm a little too old for dorm rooms! I'll be starting my drive around 14th July, so hopefully will miss out on the national holiday very-busy time, although I appreciate that it will be busy (and hot!)

thanks again
    Lucy

Do you have any suggestions for "must do's" at Zion - there seems to be so much... I'm fit but don't want anything too strenuous. Would I get very wet doing The Narrows in July?
    Yes there is much to do in Zion, from strolling through the canyon alongside the Virgin river, to wading through it, to some strenuous hikes with sheer drops. A couple more fairly easy hikes are to Weeping rock and Emerald Pools but as above, you will get lots of info packs and talking to the Rangers will help you work out what's best for you and the time you have. There are 'Outfitters' in Springdale who will rent you wet gear for the Narrows, but always check on conditions before committing to it.

7. Default

thank you!

Default No longer only for the young.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC123 View Post
    I'm afraid I'm a little too old for dorm rooms!
    As a septuagenarian grandmother, I find staying in dorm rooms most refreshing. I love exchanging interests and experiences with the young folk. You can learn so much from them, and invariably they are very interested in what others have seeing and been up to. It is great cooking meals in the kitchen with them, and even sometimes being waited on by a thoughtful and caring young person. (And yeah! there have been times when I have been left to do their dishes.)

The oldest person I have met at a hostel was a 92 year old who was travelling with her 66 year old daughter. That was in Adelaide, S.A. Many years ago in a hostel in Seattle some 50% of the guests were over 50. I wouldn't dismiss hostels outright.

Lifey

9. Default

Hat's off Lifey! I'm impressed - I promise to rethink. I think that they will have learnt a lot from you too...