1. Default Best Least Mountainous Route from Charlotte NC to Roanoke VA

I have an extreme fear of mountain roads, although if it's a multi-lane highway it's not bad. I've driven the 81 and 77 route from Charlotte to Roanoke, but this time I'm being routed on I-85 and US 220. Anyone know how bad those roads are as far as mountains? I can do the 81 but prefer not to. Thanks!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm not sure that I understand the statement "you're being routed" - why is someone or something else picking a route for you?

This isn't a route where you're going through any extreme mountains - you're certainly going to have hills. While US-220 is mostly 4 lanes, it's not up to Interstate standards, and often doesn't have much of a shoulder, so I'd suspect in your situation, I-77/I-81 would be a better choice.

Welcome to RTA!

I'd stick with I-77/I-81, they are a lot safer. US-220 is not freeway quality and has a lot of winding sections that have a high history of accidents.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm not sure that I understand the statement "you're being routed" - why is someone or something else picking a route for you?

This isn't a route where you're going through any extreme mountains - you're certainly going to have hills. While US-220 is mostly 4 lanes, it's not up to Interstate standards, and often doesn't have much of a shoulder, so I'd suspect in your situation, I-77/I-81 would be a better choice.
    I meant via my GPS--in planning the trip on my computer, my map program suggested the I-85 route.

I've driven the 77-81 route, and I think it's pretty significant mountains, if I recall--but no shoulders on hills doesn't sound fun.

Thanks!

Default Never a very wise idea to rely on the electronics alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JillKan View Post
    I meant via my GPS--in planning the trip on my computer, my map program suggested the I-85 route.
    One of the best ways to get yourself into potential trouble is to blindly follow what your electronics indicate. ; Many have done so at their peril - some fatal.

The fact is you need good paper maps when on the road. By all means use electronics to back up the maps (NOT the other way round). Good detailed maps such as those published by AAA (free to members) and Rand McNally are essential when on the road, and invaluable when planning a trip. They show you your complete trip and something about the land you will cover, including elevation - even if it is only by shading..

You can leave your AMEX home, but when it comes to maps...... Don't leave home without them.

We all use a gps to find a specific location or address, but when it comes to the overall picture of your trip, nothing will give you as much information as good detailed maps.

[I have not used a gps for almost two years, after it led me into some frightfully undesirable situations. My maps have never led me astray.]

Lifey