Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Toronto to Orlando in October - First Family road trip

Good afternoon all,
    Newbie here and I was hoping you might be able to help. We are travelling from Toronto to Kissimmee in October. We are hoping to do the trip in two days, leaving very early on Day one. Our kids are accustomed to 12-13 hr drives (my mother lives 12 hrs away). We were wondering the best route to take and best places to stop along the way. We are hoping to be in Georgia or Kentucky (depending on route) by the end of day one. We have not yet decided on i75 vs i95 but are leaning toward i95 (crossing in Buffalo) vs crossing into Detroit as we are more familiar with that crossing.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Toronto to Orlando is at the very maximum of what can safely be done in two days - even that's pushing it a bit, and that's if you take the shortest route. The shortest route is what I'm guessing you're calling I-95, although you'd only use I-95 for a pretty short distance. You'd cross at Buffalo, and then head down through Pittsburgh and West Virginia using I-79/US-19/I-77.

Really the only place you can safely plan to spend the night is at the halfway point near Hillsville, Virginia. As it is, that will already mean a minimum of 12-13 hours on the road, and it won't leave any time for any extra stops along the way.

There is no point in Georgia where you can safely drive from Toronto in one day. Going via Detroit adds another 100 miles to the trip, which puts it far beyond a safe distance to travel in 2 days.

3. Default

Thank you for the response! Would you then recommend two stops? If so, what are the best two. And yes, I mean the 79/77/95 route.

Default The Difference Between One and Two

If you're being honest with yourselves, you already know that you can't get to Kissimmee in two days. Think about those times that you drove to your mother's. What did you feel like the next day? Ready to just hop in the car and drive home again in a single day? Sound like fun? How often did you stop on those one day drives? Is your mother's 675 miles away or closer?

If, on the other hand, if you were to take three days each way, then you could take different routes down and back. And have time to make several short stops each day to let the kids do something besides sit in the bask seat and ask "Are we there yet?" In that case, stops on the Buffalo (I-90/I-79/I-77/I-95) route would be roughly around Clarkburg WV and Columbia SC, and on the Detroit (I-75) route would be roughly around Sidney OH and Atlanta GA. If and when you stay overnight in a large city such as Columbia or (especially Atlanta) try to arrive later in the evening, after rush hour, and drive through the city to a motel on the far side so that you're not fighting rush hour traffic into the city the next morning.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thank you all, so at the end of the day, needs have dictated that we are actually going I75 instead. We will leave on the Friday and stop in Ohio on the first night, Georgia on the second. My question is that at the moment we are stopping in Perrysburg (Toledo) and Atlanta. I have been warned strongly against staying in Atlanta by the airport but that's about 10-11 hrs from Perrysburg so Im not sure we could go further. Can anyone offer any suggestions on where to stop in Georgia? There is 15 of us all together, and we are thinking we would probably book four rooms. It would need to be close to food and preferably have a breakfast but not necessary. Right now we are booked at Comfort Suites Atlanta Airport (only 60 per room) but again, almost everyone is stating that Atlanta is bad news.
    You have been so much help so far.
    Thoughts?

The biggest problem with Atlanta is it is just too far away from Toledo. That drive is more than 650 miles and that's really too far. In a best case, you're looking at closer to 12 hours on the road, and if you've got a group of 15, it will almost certainly take you at least 13-14 hours.

Chattanooga TN or Dalton GA is really as far as you should look to go. That's about the halfway point from Toledo to Orlando, and both of those drives are 550 miles, and with a group of 15, I suspect that will take you at least 10-11 hours each day.

I'm not sure what other reason you've been warned to not stay in Atlanta. The only thing I would warn is that traffic can be very bad, so staying on the south side of the city - like near the airport is what I would do. However, to get that far, you'd really have to get to at least Dayton, OH on your first night.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    The biggest problem with Atlanta is it is just too far away from Toledo. That drive is more than 650 miles and that's really too far. In a best case, you're looking at closer to 12 hours on the road, and if you've got a group of 15, it will almost certainly take you at least 13-14 hours.

Chattanooga TN or Dalton GA is really as far as you should look to go. That's about the halfway point from Toledo to Orlando, and both of those drives are 550 miles, and with a group of 15, I suspect that will take you at least 10-11 hours each day.

I'm not sure what other reason you've been warned to not stay in Atlanta. The only thing I would warn is that traffic can be very bad, so staying on the south side of the city - like near the airport is what I would do. However, to get that far, you'd really have to get to at least Dayton, OH on your first night.
    So taking this into account, we have decided to drive a little further on day one and stop on the south end of Cincinnati instead. We will then stop in Morrow on day two. Has anyone stayed at Drury Inn? Are they as good as the reviews Im reading?

I can't speak specifically to the hotel you're talking about, just to say, I'd always take reviews with a grain of salt, and look at specifically what the reviews say. Generally, people are more likely to complain than give praise, so positive reviews are generally a good thing. Morrow being an Atlanta suburb should be fine - although I'll note, I'd consider that to be pretty much the same area as the Atlanta airport, and is only 5 miles down the road from the previous hotel you were looking at.

With your current plan, I hope you're planning to leave Friday morning now as Cincinnati isn't just a little bit farther than Toledo - you're almost doubling the amount of driving you're planing for that first day. It's not a problem, I just got the impression based on your selection of Toledo as a stopping point that you might not be leaving until afternoon that first day, and now you're looking at a full day on the road.

My SIL is a Drury Inn fan -- she has said that she's "never met a Drury Inn I don't like". I know that's a big generalization, but she used to travel on business a lot, and always requested that they book her at a Drury.

We look at reviews ourselves, before booking, looking at the overall picture that the write-ups give us. If it says "rooms are small", we want to steer clear if we are planning more than a 1-night stay. If it says "bed bugs", we don't book, period. On our last few trips, I made sure that I added a review for the places we stayed, too.

Donna

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I can't speak specifically to the hotel you're talking about, just to say, I'd always take reviews with a grain of salt, and look at specifically what the reviews say. Generally, people are more likely to complain than give praise, so positive reviews are generally a good thing. Morrow being an Atlanta suburb should be fine - although I'll note, I'd consider that to be pretty much the same area as the Atlanta airport, and is only 5 miles down the road from the previous hotel you were looking at.

With your current plan, I hope you're planning to leave Friday morning now as Cincinnati isn't just a little bit farther than Toledo - you're almost doubling the amount of driving you're planing for that first day. It's not a problem, I just got the impression based on your selection of Toledo as a stopping point that you might not be leaving until afternoon that first day, and now you're looking at a full day on the road.
    The plan is to leave Toronto at 6 am on Friday (we live on the west end so once we get outside Mississauga traffic will be nil until the border). That should get us to the border around 930-1000. Previous experiences have taught me that the Ambassador is tolerable after 930 or so. That should give us all day to get to Cincinnati (which normally takes me about 8-9 hrs for Reds games).

We picked Morrow as friends of ours have told us that Drury is a good hotel especially with the kids and its on the south end of Atlanta. We figure 9-10 hrs on this day.

Then its a shorter day on Sunday to get from Morrow to Orlando.

Now I just have to convince my sister (coming from 5 hrs north of Sault Ste Marie) that she should add a fourth day (stop in Frankenmuth on the way down). They want to meet up with us in Toledo or Findlay, but Im not sure that's realistic for them.