Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Road trip Cross Country (with 1 flight)

Hello, I am a new member of this forum.
    Have read a lot of posts here and decided to join.

Me and 1 friend are planning a road trip in July of 2017.
    Here is the general plan, feel free to shoot :)

I don't have any specific questions other than: is this a wise plan? :)

Day 1: Land at SanFran around 11am, rent car, drive to the area of monterey, relax
    Day 2: 17 mile drive by bike (rent bike)
    Day 3: Drive scenic higway 1 to malibu/santa monica area
    Day 4: Beach day
    Day 5: 1 day in L.A (general sightseeing)
    Day 6: Drive to Palm Springs, in afternoon shopping/enjoying palm springs
    Day 7: Hike Mt San Jacinto from palm springs
    Day 8: Drive to Vegas (through Joshua and Mojave), evening at Vegas
    Day 9: 2nd day and night Vegas
    Day 10: Drive from Vegas to Zion, afternoon relax/free time
    Day 11: Hike in Zion
    Day 12: Full day driving toward Idaho Springs Colorado
    Day 13: Mount Evans walk/scenic drive
    Day 14: Drive to Denver, turn in Car, Fly to New Orleans, rent 2nd car, relax
    Day 15: New Orleans bike tour
    Day 16: New Orleans swamp tour air boat
    Day 17: Day drive from NOLA toward bourbon country
    Day 18: Visit Makers Mark distillery/relax
    Day 19: Mammoth cave hike/walk
    Day 20: Day drive to beginning skyline drive (waynesboro)
    Day 21: Skyline Drive/Hike/Chill
    Day 22: Skyline Drive/Hike/Chill, end in Washington DC
    Day 23: Washington DC (white house/capitol hill)
    Day 24: Turn in car, bus ride to NY, relax at hotel
    Day 25: NY
    Day 26: NY
    Day 27: NY
    Day 28: Fly back to Amsterdam

Thanks in advance for reading and helping us out.
    Last edited by rjguapo; 03-24-2016 at 07:36 AM.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

The first thing which jumped out to me is that you have allowed one day for the scenic coastal route. This is a full two days drive.

You may also like to check the economy of renting two cars with the flight in between. It could have you up for twoi one way drop fees each of which could run into the hundreds of dollars. Your timing for some of the other days is also very optimistic and looks like it was taken from a computer program.

I know it is hard to comprehend the distances and the time they take, coming from a little country like Nederland. Have you considered doing a loop trip in either the east, or the southwest of the country? As a rule of thumb, consider that every hour you will cover about 50 - 55 miles (that is without sightseeing,but includes essential stops.)

Do you have some good maps? If these are not available locally, I suggest that you purchase a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. Order it now, and you will have it in a couple of weeks. It will give you much more detail than what you can see on a little screen.

Lifey

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

The first thing which jumped out to me is that you have allowed one day for the scenic coastal route. This is a full two days drive.

You may also like to check the economy of renting two cars with the flight in between. It could have you up for twoi one way drop fees each of which could run into the hundreds of dollars. Your timing for some of the other days is also very optimistic and looks like it was taken from a computer program.

I know it is hard to comprehend the distances and the time they take, coming from a little country like Nederland. Have you considered doing a loop trip in either the east, or the southwest of the country? As a rule of thumb, consider that every hour you will cover about 50 - 55 miles (that is without sightseeing,but includes essential stops.)

Do you have some good maps? If these are not available locally, I suggest that you purchase a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. Order it now, and you will have it in a couple of weeks. It will give you much more detail than what you can see on a little screen.

Lifey
    Thank you so much for your response!

You are 100% correct when it comes to the computer aspect, everything I planned is from google maps and other sites. I will follow up on your advice and buy detailed road maps and rethink the trip. We have some good road maps for sale in my city.

I would really be bummed out if the trip feels rushed so I will take my time to reconsider some options. When I have my new road trip plan I will post it here.

Again thanks for helping us out.

4. Default

Well I took the advice and made a new plan.
    This one is much less driving and a lot more time at certain locations.

Day 1: Amsterdam - San Fran (land at 11:00 am), rent car, drive towards foresthill (2 hours)
    Day 2: Picked up at Foresthill for 2 day guided raft trip (raft day 1, sleep in tent)
    Day 3: Raft day 2, back to motel in Foresthill
    Day 4: Back to San Fran via golden gate, chill in San Fran
    Day 5: San Fran, alcatraz
    Day 6: Last day San Fran
    Day 7: Scenic Highway 1 to monterey (aquarium)
    Day 8: Rent bike for 17 mile drive in monterey
    Day 9: Scenic Highway 1 to LA
    Day 10: Scenic Highway 1 to LA
    Day 11: Scenic Highway 1 to LA
    Day 12: LA
    Day 13: LA
    Day 14: Drive to Palm Springs, free time
    Day 15: Hike Mount San Jacinto
    Day 16: Scenic Drive to Vegas (via Big Bear/Barstow)
    Day 17: Vegas
    Day 18: Vegas (helicopter over Grand Canyon)
    Day 19: Drive to Bryce Canyon via Zion (Kolob Terrace Road)
    Day 20: Hike 1 Bryce Canyon
    Day 21: Hike 2 Bryce Canyon
    Day 22: ?? (maybe zion or other park in Utah??)
    Day 23: ?? (tips anyone?)
    Day 24: Flight Vegas - NY (turn in car, no one way drive fee)
    Day 25: NY
    Day 26: NY
    Day 27: NY
    Day 28: Flight NY - Amsterdam

Default Some thoughts.

I think your trip is coming together nicely but a few pointers that might help.

If you are referring to Foresthill CA that is off I80 just after Auburn, that's going to be a 3 hour drive. After an International flight, clearing customs and collecting rental car you will be pretty tired and any delays would just add to that. If these dates are changeable you might be more comfortable with 'chilling' in SF when you arrive, drive out over the GG bridge to Foresthill and then go direct to Monterey.

Helicopter tours from Vegas generally go to the west rim which is not part of the National park and nowhere near as spectacular. What I would suggest you do is drive from Palm Springs to Grand canyon south rim for a night and experience this wonder of the world, then head to Bryce via Page AZ and then to Zion and end your road trip in Vegas, rather than going there multiple times. You might find that 1 day in Bryce canyon will be enough, not because it's not amazing, it's just a smaller park with limited trails. I would recommend Zion NP and there is plenty of hiking options, including hiking in the Virgin river through the Narrows. I would plan a couple of nights and at least 1 full day there.

I would very much agree with Dave, push the rafting trip back. A long drive after a flight halfway around the world is not a good idea. On top of that, it means you're likely going to be jetlagged as you try to kick off the major adventure of a 2 day rafting trip.

It would be much smarter to spend the first couple days in SF, when you wouldn't need a car, then start your drive by heading across the Golden Gate, and over to the Sierras for some rafting, before driving straight over to Monterey to head down the coast.

7. Default

Michael and Dave,

Thanks again for some great advice, very happy with the feedback!
    I will again make some changes and post the new plan here. :)

Kolob Terrace Road is not driveable past Lava Point with a rental car.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Kolob Terrace Road is not driveable past Lava Point with a rental car.
    Thanks! Did not know that.
    I knew it was desolate and somewhat rough terrain.

If we rent something like a jeep cherokee or a pick up, is it still not doable?

Quote Originally Posted by rjguapo View Post
    If we rent something like a jeep cherokee or a pick up, is it still not doable?
    No. The standard language of a car rental contract means that even if you rent a vehicle with 4 wheel drive, you can not take it any place you would not be allowed to go in a sedan.