Thread: Nyc to Texas

1. Default Nyc to Texas

Hi. Im planning to drive from Nyc to Dallas, Texas. I travel with friend and we have 14-17 days time.

Its our first time in USA and we want drive scenic roads and rather stay in towns than big cities.
    Along the way we want visit national parks, historical places, little towns.

Google maps gives this route https://goo.gl/maps/ZC9NnqVbpS32 is it good route to go mainly and visit places near it or is there better route with nice scenic roads?

Is there any must go historical/natural places along the way?

Welcome to RTA!

Not far off of I-81 is Gettysburg, PA, a major Civil War battlefield. Lots to see and do there, allow at least a day if you can. Antietam is also not very far off of I-81, in Maryland.

Paralleling I-81 is the Skyline Drive portion of Shenandoah National Park. Take I-66 east to Front Royal then head south, following the signs to Shenandoah. The end of Skyline Drive is 105 miles later (it will take you 4-5 hours) at Waynesboro, where you can take I-64 west back to I-81 south.

I-81 is very scenic in itself, and I-40 has its pretty moments as well. You are following the Appalachians, after all! Nashville and Memphis have their claims to fame, too, in music and in history.

BTW, we here at RTA don't really do "must go's" or "must do's", as one person's "must do" would be someone else's "oh, no, not for me!"

Donna

Default Creating your own route.

It is very important that you do some research and study good maps, Google just gives the quickest route[s] that follow Interstate where possible and not the route that will take you to where you might want to go, like the small towns, parks and historical places you seek. You need to create your own route based on your research and once you have a few markers on the map you can start to join the dots and things will begin to take shape. As your planning moves forward I am sure others will join in and make suggestions and fill in the blanks, you certainly have a nice amount of time to 'wander'.

Default A great way to create your own route.

To help you plan, you might find the following paragraph useful.....

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Good maps can be got from AAA (free to members) or you might prefer a road atlas such as Rand McNally publishes. Not only will you find that they are invaluable while planning, but good maps are essential when on the road. Don't be tempted to rely solely on your electronics. Many have done so at their peril - some fatal.

Enjoy the planning.

Lifey

5. Default

Thanks for answers!

Just noticed that you do not live in the US. In that case may I suggest that you purchase a road atlas from the RTA store, via the link at the bottom of this page. Order it now and you will have it in a couple of weeks. The Rand McNally is probably the most widely used road atlas in the US.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Just noticed that you do not live in the US. In that case may I suggest that you purchase a road atlas from the RTA store, via the link at the bottom of this page. Order it now and you will have it in a couple of weeks. The Rand McNally is probably the most widely used road atlas in the US.
    I found Road Atlas Large Scale 2016 by Rand McNally at my local bookstore. It feels very good and i will definitely use it much.