1. Default SFO to bryce canyon

Hi all,
    I just joined the forum to get great advice from you all.

I want to visit bryce canyon, grand canyon and whatever else is possible in the vicinity in 5 days. I will be leaving Friday afternoon (early April) from SFO and would like to be back by Wednesday night. I will be traveling with 2 kids and not interested anything in vegas

Please help

Thanks in advance

I'm new to this forum as well, so I'll leave it to the more experienced hands to advise you as to the best route to take. That said, I'll make a couple of suggestions that will improve your experience. Bryce is absolutely wonderful, and you're all going to love it. When you go, stay somewhere close the night before. There are hotels near the park entrance, as well as in the nearby town of Tropic. This park is very popular and gets very crowded in season. The worst of the crowds come in tour buses that start arriving shortly after the park opens at 8. If you can beat the buses, even by a little bit, you'll have the place almost to yourselves, if only for a little while. Head straight for the overlooks. The valley--almost like an amphitheater--with all the rock formations (hoodoos) faces east, so those overlooks at Bryce rank among the best places in the entire world to watch the sunrise. Any photos you take in that early morning light will be stunning.

You'll be close to several other southern Utah attractions, such as Zion and Capitol Reef National Parks, as well as Lake Powell, on the border with Arizona. From Page, you can easily visit Antelope Canyon, and the "Horseshoe Bend" of the Colorado River, two of the most photographed spots in the state of Arizona. Distances can be deceiving when you're looking at a map, but everything I've mentioned is within a single days' drive of Bryce. I was going to suggest that you visit the less crowded North Rim of the Grand Canyon, rather than the south, but you'll be too early--the north rim closes in winter and does not open again until May.

Enjoy your trip! If you haven't been to Canyon Country, be prepared to be amazed.

Rick Quinn
    Last edited by Rick Quinn; 03-20-2016 at 09:44 AM. Reason: update information

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

It takes a minimum of 4 hours to see Bryce Canyon - that's stopping at the visitor's center to watch a short movie, then driving down to the end, turning around, and stopping at each overlook for a quick look.

In addition to Ruby's at the entrance and Tropic, there are some motels in Panguitch.

Now the bad news - it takes 2 days each way to go to either Bryce or the Grand Canyon from SF, so I don't think you have time to see both, much less any other attractions in the area.

South of England.

Default Fun for the Kids ?

You really are tight for time, especially if you plan to catch a flight home Weds night. You won't be able to drive across the Sierra Nevada as the high passes will be closed due to snow, so you will have to go around and it would make sense to go around the north one way and the south the other. You don't say at what time Friday afternoon you can depart, but if you could get as far as the Reno area you could possibly make it to Bryce canyon the following day. So Sunday you could see Bryce canyon and make progress towards the GC. Note that the North rim is not open to vehicle access so you will have to go to the South rim. That would leave Monday to continue to the GC and do some sight seeing and perhaps stay in Tusayan or Williams, or the Grand canyon village, giving you a day and half of driving back to SF. Whereas that might be doable, it's not going to be a whole lot of fun for the Kids and you won't have time for much else other than travelling with short rest breaks and quick visits to the 2 parks. Unless flying into Vegas is an option I would reconsider your plans for this trip, You could go a little way down the coast, perhaps visit the Monterey Aquarium and then go inland to Sequoia and/or Yosemite NP's creating a much more relaxed trip.

5. Default

Thank you all for your advice. I probably will change the plan to some other place to suit my schedule.