1. Default Ideas please NY / Niagara/ Washington

Hi , we booked some flights a year ago into NY from France and after lots of delay we now need to firm up our plans . We have a week booked in NY and then a free 10 days to travel. As a couple we have done Boston / cape cod etc but we have 2 teenagers now in tow (13 and 17 ) we have read posts about things to see from NY to Niagara and feel we want a bit of fresh air after NY and would ideally want to see Washington but wanted an experts opinion as to what we should do for the 10 days . I have read that Niagara is maybe over rated and if you see the finger lakes then they are just as amazing ........ If you had 10 days, 2 teenagers and a car where would you go !!!!!! We are travelling mid July and as they are both counted as adults as entries into everything we are counting our pennies or cents as you would say !!!
    Thanks very much in advance

Melbourne, Australia

Default The choices with teenagers.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Either would be ideal with teenagers, but trying to do both is not likely to give you quality time anywhere.

Yes the finger lakes area is lovely, but I would not say Niagara Falls is overrated. The teenagers are bound to enjoy the tour on the Maid of the Mist, which takes you to the base of the fall, and likely get you all soaking wet, despite the ponchos they hand out. Then there is the walk behind the falls (from the Canadian side) which I would imagine would appeal. If you have any maps of the North East you can choose a scenic route from NYC to Niagara, via all the places you would like to check out. You might pick up a good map from the visitors bureau in NYC. The State publishes excellent maps of the various regions. They are in great detail, and show all the places which could be of interest, including all those around the finger lakes, where I noticed there was quite a bit of accommodation.

On the other hand DC is another very interesting place where you could spend all of your time, with the Smithsonian and its many musea, and zoo (all of which are free). Then there are the many monuments and public buildings, such as the White House, The Pentagon (not sure if they still do tours since 9/11) and The Capitol. But if I were going from NYC to DC I would go by train. You will not need a car in DC, the public transport is good and parking is expensive and hard to find...... especially at the height of the tourist season.

The choice would be Niagara with its activities and adventure, or DC where the teenagers would learn a lot from the musea (especially the Holocaust museum), the Vietnam memorial and all the other public and historical sites.

Last edited by Lifemagician; 03-20-2016 at 05:34 AM. Reason: typo