We are a family of 6 from Australia now planning our fourth trip to the US.
Our 21 day road trip itinerary is something like this:
Seattle 3 days
Portland 2 days
Boise ID 1-2 days
Twin Falls 1-2 days then drive the Sawtooth Scenic Byway and check out the Craters of the Moon NP.
Possibly somewhere like Pocatello ID 1-2 days.
Salt Lake City 2 days then head toward the coast via Route 50
Stay somewhere on Route 50 on the way to San Francisco (2 overnight stops).
San Francisco 3 days then travel Highway 1
Pismo Beach CA 2 days
I guess my main queries are:
1. Our travel dates are early December. I have never driven through snow. Are roads like the Sawtooth Byway likely to be open?
2. Any suggestions on must see places in this part of Idaho.
3. Is Boise worth more than 1 night?
4. Any suggested routes from Twin Falls to Pocatello that can take in the Sawtooth Byway. I guess i'm wondering if I head from Twin Falls thru Shoshone and then turn right on Route 20 to Craters of the Moon NP then to Pocatello. Or is the better scenic diving areas further North on Route 75?
4. Any suggested scenic routes off the interstate roads from Pocatello to Salt Lake City?
5. Any suggested stopovers (need 2) between Salt Lake and San Francisco? Or indeed is Route 50 worth it? I do love lonely roads.
The rest of the trip is no problem but it's just the areas I have highlighted that I an unsure and also the driving conditions. Any help or feedback would be much appreciated.