1. Default Travel from Orlando to Los Angeles via chicago I have 1.5 Months

Please suggest a scenic route as well as places to see along the way as well as cheap places to stay and eat.

Thank you

Last edited by Sonali2016; 03-19-2016 at 01:21 AM. Reason: add destination

Melbourne, Australia

Default The planning phase.

Hi Sonali, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

The best way to start planning your trip is to follow the advice in this paragraph:-

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Good maps are available from AAA (free to members) or you might prefer a road atlas such as published by Rand McNally. Maps such as these are invaluable during the planning and essential when on the road. Don't be tempted to rely solely on you electronics. Many have done so at their peril - some fatal.

You already have three points on your map. There are literally hundreds of roads and routes you could take just covering those.... and attractions along the way could be numbered in the thousands.

So check to see which way appeals most to you, how long you want to spend in the places already chosen, and as questions come up, feel free to ask. We can help you refine your trip and fill in the blanks.

Enjoy the planning, it is so much part of the adventure.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The reality is that you've told us you've got 1.5 month and you planning a trip that will take you across the entire US. The number of scenic route, places to see, and cheap places to stay that could fit within what you've told us is at least in the millions, if not billions. You really are going to have to give us a lot more information, before anyone will be able to start narrowing things down and be able to provide you any useful information.

As Lifey mentioned, maps are a great place to start, but this is your trip, and it really does have to start with you.

Southern California

Cheap places to stay and eat ... well, that sounds like a budget trip to me. :-) I'll chime in with that part of it, with some generic advice.

Cheapest places to stay are campgrounds. Pick up a tent, sleeping bag, and a pad, and you can overnight anywhere from $15-25/night at state parks and national forest campgrounds.

Next cheapest are your mom-and-pop motels, or using a hotel coupon (found in booklets at state visitor centers and information counters, usually next to major highways as you enter a state). Coupons have their pros and their cons, the biggest "con" being that they often aren't available on weekends or if you pull into a motel later in the evening after their "coupon rooms" are already rented.

If you're a single traveler, hostels are also in the budget category. I've never stayed in one, but we have a regular here who has on many occasions.

Eating ... cheapest way is from a cooler that you have in your car. The downside to that is the constant need to buy ice, so don't forget to budget for it. From a cooler and a picnic bag, you can make breakfasts and lunches quite easily. If you carry a little bit of cooking stuff, including a portable burner, you can also make dinners. The latter will work best if you are camping. If toting along cooking stuff is out of the question, you can pick up ready-made meals at local grocery stores, salad makings, or even a microwave-able meal (if you're staying somewhere that gives you access to a microwave oven). For meals where you need to eat out, I've found that my local fast-food coupons are occasionally (but not always) accepted at other places -- a southern California Carl's Jr coupon was once used at a mid-Missouri Hardee's.

As for the rest ... it all needs to start with you. We love to help, if we have enough information to make intelligent suggestions.

5. Default

Thank you.
    I am going alone I have 1.5 months to spend on this route am looking for a scenic route with places to stop.

6. Default

Thank you.

what more info. can I give you?

I am new at this and so I posted what I thought wasthe necessary info.

7. Default

Thank you for the info.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Details are on your maps.

You will see the scenic routes marked on each map. Usually with a dotted line along it. See which ones go in the direction you wish to travel, and follow the paragraph by Buck, above. You will see on those same maps the attractions along the way, and decide at which ones you would like to spend some time.

If you collect State issued maps as well, at Welcome or Visitor Centres each time you cross a State border, you are likely to find more scenic routes, as the nationally issued maps mostly have national scenic routes highlighted. You will find State and County scenic routes more often on State maps.. State maps also may have other/more attractions which could well interest you. I have often diverted from my planned route, when I saw an interesting route and/or attractions on a State issued map.

Augment your map work with some day dreaming and web research to see what each town along the way has to offer, and get some idea of the cost of things in each place.

Travelling alone, you may also like to check out hostels, as these are often cheaper than a hotel room, when you are solo. When I first hit the road solo, I would plan my route from hostel to hostel, and chose whichever scenic routes there were between them.

Not all hostels are the same. Some are excellent, and others you'd never recommend to your worst enemy. Don't let a negative experience put you off hostels per se. They have many benefits, especially for the solo traveller. When reading reviews, make sure they are recent.

Be aware of the safety of your possession. Carry a medium sized padlock and always put all your valuables in a locker locked with your own padlock.