1. Default Houston to Maine

Planning a trip from Houston to Portland, Maine. We'd like to drive part of it on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Any advice, suggestions... We'd like the drive to be as scenic as possible.

Tucson, AZ

Default Scenic is Easy...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums! long as you realize that it will take a fair bit more time. By sticking to the most direct Interstates you could be in Portland in about three and a half days. Taking scenic byways most of the way could end up taking six days (or more). You can, of course, mix and match as your time constraints (if any) dictate. So a collection of scenic (albeit slow) roads that will get you there as prettily as possible:

Start out by taking a collection of scenic roads through the bayous of southwestern Louisiana. At Baton Rouge use I-110 north through the city to the Blues Highway/Great River Road north to Natchez. There, pick up the Natchez Trace Parkway up to Nashville and then US-70 east to Knoxville and US-441 down through Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Cherokee TN and the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Parkway and Skyline Drive will take you all the way up to Front Royal VA. At that point I-81 is probably your best bet for a while, at least up past Harrisburg where US-209 becomes a great option through the Blue Mountains and Delaware Water Gap. Then another bit of Interstate, I-84, will get take you through the Catskills and across the Hudson River to the Taconic State Parkway which you'd take north to almost the end. A series of 'local' roads, NY-295/MA-41/US-20/US-7 will then take you northeast through the Berkshires to MA-2, the Mohawk Trail east across Massachusetts. From central Massachusetts, though, take US-202 north through southeastern New Hampshire to avoid all the Boston traffic and suburbs all the way to Gorham ME and finally use ME-25 into Portland.

There are, of course, other options that can be faster (I-81/I-84) or take you past different scenery (coastal routes). But the above is probably the most scenic way to cover the ground between Houston and Portland.

Last edited by AZBuck; 03-19-2016 at 08:53 AM.

3. Default

I can only imagine how beautiful of a trip that must be. Imagine crossing all those states.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Welcome.

Hi, ViCallaway, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

It is easy to wonder and visualise the scenic routes described above. Perhaps, like me, you may one day venture out to drive them, and enjoy them for yourself. Should you ever like some help with planning a road trip, don't hesitate to start your own thread. Meanwhile, enjoy the forums.