1. Default Route suggestions from Orlando for newbie please

My brother and I are picking up a C25 RV from Kissimmee on 6th April 2016 and are hoping to have a 'round trip' of 12 days ending with the last 2 days in Orlando before our flight back to the UK.

As it's our first time in the USA I'm hoping forum members can help with route suggestions for the intermediate 10 days. We would like to see Savannah, learn something of plantation life, take a trip in the Everglades, eat good food, meet nice people and listen to some great music - hopefully in New Orleans. Is this possible or are we being overly optimistic?

All suggestions gratefully received..
    David & Roger

Tucson, AZ

Default A Basic Southern Loop

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With that much time you could comfortably cover most of the continental U.S. without being overstretched. But given your stated objectives so far it seems as though a tour of the South would be in order. I wouldn't want to get too detailed yet as these are just first suggestions and others will probably be by with their own thoughts, and I'll just give you a bare bones outline of what would be a great southern loop with some of the major attractions along it to give you an idea of what's possible. I'll also be describing the loop in a counterclockwise direction, but you can do it the other way round if you prefer.

Start by heading north along the coast. Farther south than that linked-to route, there are another couple of places worth visiting: the Kennedy Space Center and Okefenokee Swamp. Once you get up into the Virginia area you'd start to head westward towards the Appalachian Mountains. Depending on how far north you go, some good westbound highways are: US=58 across southern Virginia, I-64 through central Virginia (Monticello), or I-66 out of Washington DC. In each case your goal will be the roads that run down the Appalachians/Great Valley: I-84 or Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway. Both of those will get you down to the Smoky Mountains area where you'd turn west again through Tennessee.

I-40 will take you through both Knoxville and Nashville. Then from Nashville the Natchez Trace Parkway heads southwest. Yo can take that all the way down to Natchez, or leave it at Shiloh or Tupelo and use US-64 or US-78, respectively to get to Memphis where Graceland, Beale Street, Mud Island, and Sun Records Studio are all worth taking a look at. In either case, continue south along the Great River Road to New Orleans, but also consider a slight detour to enter that city [i]via] the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. From New Orleans follow the coast eastward, using US-98 to go through the beach towns or I-10 to make a bit more progress. As you head along the Gulf, consider stops at one or two units of Gulf Islands National Seashore and/or some of the many state parks along the way.

The final leg would be down the west coast of Florida using US-19, US-27, US-41 and I-75 for various portions with possible stops at Cedar Key, Weeki Wachee Springs, and certainly at the Everglades before returning to Miami.

3. Default

Thank you for the really informative post. It's rather late in the UK, so I'll check out the maps etc and try to visualise the route tomorrow's. Once again thank you for taking the time to reply.