1. Default Starting from Central Jersey and yearning to see mountains within a day away

Hi Road Trip Forum,

I live in Central Jersey (Edison) and want to take a road trip where I can see a lot of mountains on the way. I am just looking for a scenic drive where I can take everything in from inside the vehicle (highways are fine too). I only want to be on the road for 3-4 hours max. I would also like to land in a fairly large town with some good hotels and restaurants.

Should I head north towards New York (whose upstate I know has nice mountains) or West towards Pennsylvania or SouthWest to Virgina to see the Blue Mountains or is there something better?

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.

Welcome to RTA!

3 to 4 hours is pretty much going to limit you to the Poconos in eastern PA. The largest city in the Poconos is Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

3 to 4 hours is pretty much going to limit you to the Poconos in eastern PA. The largest city in the Poconos is Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
    Thanks for your reply. Can I see good mountain ranges on the drive to the Poconos? If I made it 4-5 hours can I go anywhere better? Or else let me ask where are the most scenic mountain ranges in the northeastern part of the country?

They are all scenic, but the Poconos are closest to you - there are a lot of roads you can take just wandering around the area.

Default Eastern PA.

The wonders of eastern PA is not just the Poconos, it is all the scenic routes, the quaint small towns and villages tucked away in every nook and cranny in those mountains, and just the general beauty of the whole area. It is hard to find route in that general area which is not scenic. In the same way, most of the accommodation is privately owned - you are not likely to see the national chains. And who knows, there may just be a parade on in one of the towns, or a fair and market. I have stumbled on all of those, such a great surprise.

It is amazing how much there is tucked away in those mountains. If you are close by, why drive any further. Get out a good map (AAA or Rand McNally) and do a little research on each and every town you see on the map, and check out all the State Parks and Forests. It would be possible to spend a month just in that area, and not see it all.

Lifey

6. Default

Thanks LifeMagician and glc, eastern PA it is then for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JahanNJ View Post
    Thanks LifeMagician and glc, eastern PA it is then for me.
    It would be great if you could keep a journal or make some no0tes of this trip, and share it with us, complete with photos and all. There is a special forum just for that purpose. Not only is it nice to see how our suggestions worked for you, but it will also help future roadtrippers looking for ideas.

Lifey