1. Default Road Trip October

Hi Guys
    Very new to this so please bare with me.
    We are a couple of 75 yrs young seniors holidaying in USA this October, I am looking for some help and information for when we hire a car and have a go at driving around, getting a bit confused with time zones as to when and if we gain or lose time.
    our plan is Las Vegas-to Bryce Canyon(drive through Zion Park)over night Bryce Canyon. Onto Monument Valley over night. Onto Grand Canyon onto Kingman over night onto Venture over night along the coast to Sans Francisco with 2 over nights stops.
    Any help and advice would be greatly received.
    Many Thanks JOHN

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Well, the easy part is time zones. You'll only change twice. When you go from Vegas into Utah you'll lose an hour. You'll get the hour back when you cross back into Arizona - (the only tricky part is that Arizona does not follow daylight saving time, so from roughly November-March, AZ is on the same time as UT, but March-Nov, it's the same time as CA and NV.)

As far as the rest of your plans, I think you're probably trying to do too much. The first several days of your trip - up to Kingman - are all days where you'll be spending at least 4-5 hours in the car, and that's not going to leave you much time at all to see these great wonders that you are trying to visit. Monument Valley to Kingman is especially troublesome, and would leave you hardly any time at all left over to see the Grand Canyon.

Default How much time?

John, how long do you have for the complete trip? You will want to spend your first day in LV if you are coming off a long haul flight. Zion is not a place you 'drive through. I, (and I am the same age) would look at spending two nights near Zion and enjoy some of the lovely leisurely walks in the park. The Virgin River walk is a flat walk by the river with the canyon walls towing above you. Something not to be missed. There are other easy walks in this park. Bryce on the other hand can be seen in half a day or so, unless you want to go for a walk among the hoodoos down in the canyon. That is not a long drop, as there are easy ramps from the viewing areas down to the canyon floor.

On your way to Monument Valley you will pass by several national parks and have the choice to drive some spectacularly scenic routes. You may like to consider adding extra time there, depending on how long your trip is. And again, you are just allowing yourself enough time to drive through the Grand Canyon without really having the time to truly appreciate this wonder of nature. Take time to stand on the rim of the canyon and do some of the shorter walks to points where one gets another view of the canyon. And the highlight to consider would be either a sunset or a sunrise over the canyon, and see the magnificent colours on the canyon walls.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 03-14-2016 at 07:58 PM. Reason: correction .

Default Another thought.

Do you have any good detailed maps to plan this trip, or are you trying to9 do it all within the confines of a tiny screen? If you do not have any, and they are not available locally, may I suggest that you purchase a Rand McNally road atlas (there is none better!) from the
    RTA store, via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks, and I feel confident it will make all the difference in your planning. There is an amazing amount of detail on these maps, though I have to admit, I am getting to the point of needing a magnifying glass to read all of it.

Lifey

Well, the easy part is time zones. You'll only change twice. When you go from Vegas into Utah you'll lose an hour. You'll get the hour back when you cross back into Arizona - (the only tricky part is that Arizona does not follow daylight saving time, so from roughly November-March, AZ is on the same time as UT, but March-Nov, it's the same time as CA and NV.)
    It's not that straightforward - not all of Arizona stays on standard time, the Indian reservations go on daylight time. Regardless, you will never be more than one hour off.

6. Default

Thanks Michael
    Time zones:-Yes I read some where that when driving to Bryce Canyon that I had to add an hour, but thought would gain from monument Valley to Grand canyon. Yes we are trying to get as much as possible in to at least say we have seen some of it,and yes a lot of driving(looks easy on the maps)our aim was to get to Bryce Canyon no later then 3 o clock(reports say 3hrs to view the canyon)Leave 7am and get to Monument Valley about mid day and take a 3 1/2 back country tour.Leave 7 am next morning arrive about 10 at the start of Desert View road giving us about 4 hrs to view leaving about 2 should arrive at Kingman or Needles(trying to shorten the to the coast leg)about 5 ?????????????
    As I said we have not got as much time as we would have liked as we pick the car up on the 20th and need to be in San Francisco 25th
    Thanks again for your post it's very helpful JOHN

7. Default

Thanks Lifemagician
    yes a lot to do and only a short time to do it in we are hoping to give our selfs about 4hrs at each place so that we can say at least we have seen it.
    Thanks again for your advice.
    Regards JOHN

Default The big question

Quote Originally Posted by MAGGIEJOHN87 View Post
    yes a lot to do and only a short time to do it in we are hoping to give our selfs about 4hrs at each place so that we can say at least we have seen it.
    Here is the question you need to ask yourself: Do you want to SEE a place, or do you just want to be able to SAY that you've been there?

That is a huge difference, and right now, while you'll be able to say that you've been to these places, it would really be a stretch to say that you've actually seen them.

First of all, you are using extremely optimistic estimates for your drive times, and then you are trying to see these places in the minimum amount of time possible - and in some cases, even that isn't even possible.

For Bryce Canyon, if you hope to get there by 3, then that completely rules out the possibility of seeing any thing at Zion. Once there, 3.5 hours is considered the bare minimum to make the 40 mile scenic drive through the park and be able to just make very quick stops at some of the many overlooks.

If you're going to race through, then it would make a lot more sense to me just to visit Zion - which would at least give you some time to see that park.

And once again, your Monument Valley to Kingman plan is really problematic, if you want to see things. Even if you get to Desert View Drive by 10, it's an hour just to drive from the start of the road to Grand Canyon Village - and that's if you aren't stopping at any of the view points. Then, once you get to the village, it will take time to get into the park, find a place to park your car, and if you want to do anything more than look over the edge right within the village - including seeing any of the miles of other unique viewpoints - you have to rely on the parks shuttle bus system, which also takes time.

And then, after quite literally racing through one of the wonders of the world, you would be driving another 4 hours, just so you can get a "head start" on racing past your next destination.

So again, if all you want to do is pay your admission fee, and "check a box" that says you've been at these places, then you'll be fine, but personally, I would think it would be a huge shame to drive past all of these places without actually seeing them.

Default Unrealistic timing.

Bekief Michael, especially when it comes to the Grand Canyon. The first time I went to the South Rim, I did all he described, other than take the shuttle bus, and that took just about the whole day. I was staying in Flagstaff, left early, and got back in time to cook something to eat, and go to bed.

You will be paying $30 to enter the national park, just to say that you have been there.... without having seeing it.

You are grossly underestimating how much time your trip will take. It is neither as simple or as easy as you seem to think, even if you only want to be able to say that you have been there.

Furthermore, you do not have any time built into your trip for any mishap/holdup - such as a flat tyre or an accident up ahead .

Lifey