Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Houston, TX to San Francisco, CA

Hi all. Just joined the forum to get awesome advice from you. I'm moving from Houston to San Francisco and gonna drive over there by myself. In the trip i would like to visit some places as so to have a mini vacation. I saw that Grand Canyon is sort of in the way, i would defenitely stop over there. What other places do you recommend? I can spend no more than 5 days. Thanks in davance!

Tucson, AZ

Default A Day's Worth of Sites

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well yes, the Grand Canyon is 'sort of on the way', but including it in your itinerary will push your driving time to four full days. That still leaves you a day's worth of time (about 14 hours in reality) to devote to actually getting to and exploring some of the sites along your route. Places you should at least consider stopping at include the Buddy Holly Center, Petroglyph National Monument, Petrified Forest National Park, the Grand Canyon, and the Mojave National Preserve. There are several other interesting places on your way, especially in and around Flagstaff AZ, but even as is you can't spend more than two or three hours in any one attraction, so don't overload yourself.

South of England.

Default Not much time to spare.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

It's the best part of a four day drive so you won't have heaps of time if you spend a half day at the Grand canyon but you could spend a bit of time in some route 66 towns like Winslow, Flagstaff, Williams, Seligman and Kingman. Before GC is the Petrified forest just off I40 and near Flagstaff is The Lowell Observatory, Walnut canyon and Sunset Crater A night in Vegas might appeal [it might not] and you could take a trip across Death valley depending on your interests. Heading up the west side of the Sierra's you will find Sequoia NP and Yosemite but as mentioned, your time is somewhat limited.

4. Default

so after reviewing your recommendations, i made a route to stop at: Petrified forest > grand canyon > Santa Monica > new home :)
    lots of driving woohoo
    Thank you for the replies!

5. Default

In California! you could visit Catalina Island, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon National Parks. You could take google map help during your journey.
    Wish you good luck.

Southern California

I hope you are planning to have an overnight stop somewhere between Houston and Petrified Forest National Park. It's over 1100 miles, no matter which route you take, which will be about 2 days of driving, 10-11 hours per day. (Don't believe electronic mapping programs when they give you a 17 or 18 hour reading. They assume you will drive the speed limit at all times and never, ever stop for anything. Yet we all know, cars need fuel, bodies need food and a restroom periodically.)

BTW, the nearest lodging at Petrified Forest is in Holbrook.

7. Default

Yeah i'm planning to stop by Amarillo, sleep early get up early and straight to Petrified Forest.
    Then stop at Flagstaff for the Grand canyon trip.

Joplin MO

If you are going to spend the night in Amarillo, stay at the Big Texan and have a great steak dinner. Their motel is in the Old West motif.

9. Default

i'll definitely check Big Texan. Also, are there any kind of dirt road near grand canyon? Or it's all paved up? Thanks!

South of England.

All the main roads through the park are paved, although you can find good gravel tracks in the Kaibab forest.