1. Default Trip to Kentucky via Route66, returning via Mt. Rushmore & Yellowstone in Classics.

Starting from San Francisco heading to Bowling Green, Kentucky for a show and then returning via a northern route to see Mt. Rushmore. What I am seeking is suggestions on routes and destinations. We are thinking about starting south and hitting some Route66 but, one car needs to stop in Denver to see a relative. We will be traveling in a 1956 and 1957 Chevy's. Just want to pick your brains on routes and some must see destinations.
    Thanks!

Well, I'd start by revisiting the advice you got about the trip you took last year on this same route.

With your need to stop in Denver, I was going to mention US-50 as a logical choice from SF to Denver, but that was discussed quite extensively last year.

If you want to do a portion of Route 66, I suppose you could pick up the remnants of the road in Western Arizona, perhaps until about Flagstaff, and then start heading north towards Monument Valley and onto Colorado.

How many days are you allowing for this adventure, and does the stop in Denver need to be done on the way to Bowling Green or on the way back to San Francisco? I am a California native who has lived in Nashville TN for 40 years and I've made numerous road trips across the country back and forth between Nashville and Sacramento during that time. I've tried just about every conceivable route.

Default Last trip's maps?

Hi flw, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Great to see you jump in with your first post sharing your experiences. It is always appreciated.

Mel, do you still have the maps or road atlas from the last trip. They will show you which routes and just how many attractions there are along the way. If you don't have them, I would encourage you to get hold of some good detailed maps from a place like AAA (free to members) or get a good road atlas. All the information on these maps is invaluable while planning a road trip, and of course, essential when on the road. Don't be tempted to rely solely on your electronics. You will see so much more on a map than you will ever get on a little screen, as well as seeing the BIG picture.

Lifey

5. Default

Thanks all for your quick responses. I just had a chat with the other car and the reason why I'm putting out another post is because we are mapping another route. Destination is the same but, we friend has family in Denver that he needs to see but, on our return trip we want to head north to Mt. Rushmore. We have decide to pass on Route66 this year. So, it appears that we will head east on I80, possibly come down on I25 at Cheyenne into Denver then, I70 across to St.Louis.

I'd like more help/suggestions on our after trip. Again, we want to head north up to Mt. Rushmore and see some of the sites up in that region. Never been in that area so this is a 'bucket list' for us. So, what are some must sees up there? We will probably swing by Sturgis, Custer's State Park, Crazy Horse Park and come home through Yellowstone. What else should we see? And how about a good route/roads. Don't forget we are traveling with our old Chevy's.

Again, we want to head north up to Mt. Rushmore and see some of the sites up in that region. Never been in that area so this is a 'bucket list' for us. So, what are some must sees up there? We will probably swing by Sturgis, Custer's State Park, Crazy Horse Park and come home through Yellowstone. What else should we see? And how about a good route/roads. Don't forget we are traveling with our old Chevy's.
    You still didn't really say how long you have for the transit in each direction. You can spend two or three days in the Black Hills of South Dakota, and another 2-3 days in Yellowstone (plus a day at Grand Teton) and still not see it all.

Black Hills: Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park (with its 3 scenic drives), Badlands National Park is about 50 miles away, Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Monument.

On your way to Yellowstone, there's Sturgis (hope this trip is NOT in early August or you will run into problems here), Devil's Tower National Monument is about 30 miles off of I-90, and Little Big Horn National Battlefield Monument is about 1/2 mile off of I-90.

The northeast entry into Yellowstone, via the Beartooth Highway, comes down from Billings/Laurel area of Montana. It gets to over 10,000 ft elevation so you'd have to decide if your vehicles are ready for that. If not, you can enter from either the east or the north. Allot at least 2-3 days for Yellowstone, because of its sheer size and that you are going to stop to see things, take a short walk, and because Old Faithful goes off on its own time (about every 90 minutes). As long as you're there, head south to the Grand Teton National Park.

In summer '14, we did all of the above on our way back to Southern California. We took the 90 through SD, WY, and MT till we dropped south to visit Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Then we went around to Driggs, ID, for the night and over to I-15. That we took to I-86 and I-84, to Twin Falls. At Twin Falls, we picked up US-93 south into Nevada, where we caught I-80 west. We stopped to see family in the Bay area. For us, this worked.

Donna

7. Default

Donna,
    We are not on a definite schedule so, we are not in a rush. The time to get to Bowling Green is on a schedule but, we can move up our start date to accommodate that. But, seeing that this will be our first (and possibly only) time up north we want to see all that there is to see. Thank you for the suggestions. By the time we get to Sturgis the bike rally should be over. Otherwise, yes we would probably avoid Sturgis.

That's good info regarding Yellowstone and how much time that we will need. 2-3 days in the South Dakota area and 2-3 days in Yellowstone is good to know.

Thanks so much. We are logging all of these suggestions and discussing routes and the amount of time needed.

Default Depends on what you want.

If you have a good look at your maps, you will find there are many more attractions along your way. They are all marked on the map, so you can design your route to hit the ones which interest you most. Absolutely no need to stay on I-90, in fact you will miss a lot, if you do.

consider the beautiful drive over the highplains on Alt14, The Medicine Wheel, the Big Horn Canyon, to mention only two. To really enjoy the Beartooth Highway allow the best part of the day for it. You will want to stop and take in the breathtaking views, and at the summit the Top of The World Store, to mention only some. Neither is it a fast drive.

Donna mentioned 2 - 3 days in Yellowstone, but that is just to see the highlights. To really see and enjoy the park at your leisure - there is no other way, as the going is very slow in Yellowstone - you could easily double that time.

There is no such thing as a generic amount of time to spend in any place, just all depends on what you want to do, how much you want to see. If you think it might be your only time up north, you will probably not want to miss anything, including the geographical centre of the USA at Belle Fourche. All of those are marked on your maps.

Lifey