Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Road trip

  1. Default Road trip

    Hi,
    Were planning our family road trip from Scotland to the west coast of America.
    We will be starting off a few days in Los Angeles, driving to Las Vegas for 2 days, onto Casper to stay overnight, head to Mount Rushmore next morning and back to Salt Lake City for the night, then drive to San Francisco for four days and back to Los Angeles via Santa Carla as were all Lost Boy fans.

    I am hiring a Grand Cherokee Jeep for the journey as it will need a large area for our suitcases during the full trip. This is the first road trip we have been on and would like any hints or tips on where to see during our trip and any places to avoid if there are any.

    My family consist of Dad, Mam and a 18 year old and a 21 Year old brother and sister.
    We have researched the main cities LA, Las Vegas and San Francisco, but we would love to see other attractions on our road trip.
    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of England.
    Posts
    10,747

    Default how much time and main interests ?

    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums ! you did not mention how much time you have for your trip which makes it difficult to offer meaningful advice. Have you done much research and studied a good map as yet ? The thing that stands out to me is all the miles you are adding to see Mt Rushmore when you have so many amazing places nearer to you. Yosemite, Sequoia, Death valley, the Grand canyon and more National parks just in southern utah, for me all more rewarding than Rushmore.

  3. Default .

    Thanks for the reply Southwest Dave,
    We have a total of 18 days planned for our trip, I was hoping to book our hotels for the major cities that were planning to visit in advance, but other than that we were going to see as much as we can see during the drive to Mount Rushmore and eventually back to LA.

    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums ! you did not mention how much time you have for your trip which makes it difficult to offer meaningful advice. Have you done much research and studied a good map as yet ? The thing that stands out to me is all the miles you are adding to see Mt Rushmore when you have so many amazing places nearer to you. Yosemite, Sequoia, Death valley, the Grand canyon and more National parks just in southern utah, for me all more rewarding than Rushmore.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,936

    Default You could end up missing the best the west has to offer.

    We really need to know when this trip will take place. If it is still a few, or may months off, then I would highly recommend you get hold of a good sized wall map of the USA, and put it where you will all see it every day. It will give you a good idea of how many sites there are and how far apart they are.

    As well, I would highly recommend that you get yourself a Rand McNally road atlas. Those maps will help you see the country through which you will be travelling, and the attractions along the way, as well as the many routes you could take from very scenic routes to super fast interstates.

    You also need to be aware that LV to Casper is some 900 miles, and as so is a two day drive which will see you on the road each day for up to nine hours (regardless of what computer mapping programs say). That leaves you very little time to actually stop at some of the major attractions, and have an opportunity to really see and enjoy them.

    The same goes for Casper to SLC via Mt Rushmore.

    Your plan to spend most of the time in the cities seems to me that you are short changing yourself. When you get the atlas, see just how much else there is..... the greatest national parks on the planet, scenery you will not see anywhere else on earth.

    It would be a shame for all of you to get home having spent most of your time in the concrete jungles and driven past these natural wonders without having had time to stand on the rim of the Grand Canyon, Marvel at the climbers half way up El Capitan in Yosemite, wander amongst the hoodoos in Bryce and take a leisurely stroll along the virgin river with the canyon walls towering high above you in Zion.

    And that is mentioning only four of the many great natural wonders of the world.

    Lifey

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South of England.
    Posts
    10,747

    Default

    driving to Las Vegas for 2 days, onto Casper to stay overnight, head to Mount Rushmore next morning and back to Salt Lake City for the night,
    I am not sure if you mean driving direct from LV to Casper, but his trip would be require an over night stop. The same for the following day, you won't be able to go from Casper to Rushmore and get to SLC for the night, the distances in the US can be deceiving. Your round trip is about 6 days of driving, add 6 days for LV and SF and "A few" in LA and you need a couple of days to enjoy the coast between SF and LA, and your time soon becomes limited. If your determined to see Rushmore it's possible but you will have to see what else you can fit in.

  6. Default

    Excellent information Lifey, we are planning to go June 2017, so we have time to do as you suggest with the map.
    I think we don't realise the size of the area where were planning to drive and may have bitten of more than we can chew,
    We would like to see as much as possible, but if Mount Rushmore is too far, then we will have to plan our trip between the cities as best as we can.
    Mount Rushmore was a bucket list item for me, but there is nothing to say we wont be back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    We really need to know when this trip will take place. If it is still a few, or may months off, then I would highly recommend you get hold of a good sized wall map of the USA, and put it where you will all see it every day. It will give you a good idea of how many sites there are and how far apart they are.

    As well, I would highly recommend that you get yourself a Rand McNally road atlas. Those maps will help you see the country through which you will be travelling, and the attractions along the way, as well as the many routes you could take from very scenic routes to super fast interstates.

    You also need to be aware that LV to Casper is some 900 miles, and as so is a two day drive which will see you on the road each day for up to nine hours (regardless of what computer mapping programs say). That leaves you very little time to actually stop at some of the major attractions, and have an opportunity to really see and enjoy them.

    The same goes for Casper to SLC via Mt Rushmore.

    Your plan to spend most of the time in the cities seems to me that you are short changing yourself. When you get the atlas, see just how much else there is..... the greatest national parks on the planet, scenery you will not see anywhere else on earth.

    It would be a shame for all of you to get home having spent most of your time in the concrete jungles and driven past these natural wonders without having had time to stand on the rim of the Grand Canyon, Marvel at the climbers half way up El Capitan in Yosemite, wander amongst the hoodoos in Bryce and take a leisurely stroll along the virgin river with the canyon walls towering high above you in Zion.

    And that is mentioning only four of the many great natural wonders of the world.

    Lifey

  7. Default

    Yes, It looks ok on the map, but not seeing exactly the extent of the driving distance is deceiving.
    We will look at our journey again and revisit it I think.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by langheed View Post
    driving to Las Vegas for 2 days, onto Casper to stay overnight, head to Mount Rushmore next morning and back to Salt Lake City for the night
    I think you are dramatically underestimating just how massively large the US is - as this plan isn't even close to possible.

    Vegas to Casper is about a 16 Hour drive, and far more than is safe to do in one day.

    Then, if you read you correctly, you'd want to used the next day to drive from there to Mount Rushmore and back to SLC? That's about 18 hours on the road - and that's before you even think about looking at Mount Rushmore for a few seconds.

    There's no way you'll have time to see anything unless you add several more days to this section of the trip.

    For comparison sake, Your current plan would be like Driving from Glasgow to "see" Zurich one day, and then get up and drive to Warsaw the next day. If you want to actually see anything on your trip, you need to either give yourself a lot more time for the drive to Mount Rushmore, or look at the many possible destinations that are much, much closer to the other places you want to visit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,936

    Default Lots of time to do your homework.

    Quote Originally Posted by langheed View Post
    Excellent information Lifey, we are planning to go June 2017, so we have time to do as you suggest with the map.
    When you get the atlas, you may benefit from following the advice in the following paragraph:

    Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    As a rule of thumb, when planning think of each hour driving will cover 50 miles. That allows for all essential stops, but not for sightseeing. Don't set it all in concrete too early, as most trips make several changes from first plan to when they take place.

    Mount Rushmore was a bucket list item for me, but there is nothing to say we wont be back.
    No doubt! I am planning my eighth trip for this year, and even though it is to visit family, I can't stay away from all the wonderful sites to see on the North American continent.

    Lifey

Similar Threads

  1. Family Road Trips and Road Trip Car Games
    By Mark Sedenquist in forum Gear-Up!
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-24-2016, 08:07 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2014, 04:16 AM
  3. Winter Road Trip to Canada (First Road Trip Ever!)
    By Cee in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 04:31 PM
  4. road trip on the mother road
    By Ludivine in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
  5. 3 week winter road trip (first ever road trip)
    By chiledog75 in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 03:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES