Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default NYC to Williamsburg with 6 grandkids

My daughter and I will be taking 6 children to Colonial Williamsburg from NYC in just a couple of weeks. She is doing the Williamsburg planning, my job is the driving route. I'm thinking just going straight down 95 and trying to time it to avoid peak traffic around DC. My question mainly is - where are good stopping places with kids? For example, a quick exercise stop about 2 hours south of NYC; then lunch and "running/playing" in another 2 hours; short stop 1 hour later. Any suggestions? Also, reverse for the return trip. Thanks in advance.

Melbourne, Australia

Default They are right here.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Lucky kids!! You are in for a great time.

As for quick stops along the route, there is a special thread put together for just that purpose

Joplin MO

Have you considered bypassing both Baltimore and DC? Take DE-1 to DE-299 to US-301 to VA-207 back to I-95.

Southern California

Use glc's bypass! You and your g-kids will appreciate it, especially if one of them has to go to the bathroom in the middle of a big traffic jam on the 95!

Tucson, AZ

Default Possible Stops

I generally agree with glc's recommendation for taking US-301 (and connecting routes) south from the Wilmington DE area to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to Annapolis and then continuing south on US-301. With some minor changes, you can also easily add multiple stopping points pretty close to what you're looking for.

It's roughly two hours from New York City down the Jersey Turnpike and over the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Looking for a good stopping place in that general area, I think you'd be hard pressed to do better than the town of New Castle DE. This was the early capital of the Delaware Colony and has many buildings from that period that will fit in with the theme of the trip (Colonial Williamsburg). There is also a riverside park, Battery Park, with plenty of open ground and some playground equipment. If you choose to stop here, you'd take DE-9 south from I-95 immediately after crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge into New Castle. When you're ready to get back on the road, DE-273 west out of town will take you to US-13 south to DE-1 (toll). At Odessa, take DE-299 west to Middletown and US-301 south.

After crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and heading around Annapolis, take Exit 13A to stay on US-301 as it heads south towards Richmond. Along US-301 there will be plenty of opportunities to stop for food, and you'll be aiming to stop about 15 miles south of the Exit 13A turnoff at Rosaryville State Park for your stop for a picnic lunch and more fresh air and relaxation.

Returning to US-301 south, cross the Potomac and continue to Port Royal. Here I'll differ with glc. Rather than continuing on US-301 to I-95/I-64 to Williamsburg, I'd suggest you make a left onto US-17 and follow that quieter road along the southern side of the Rappahannock River. Continue all the way down to cross the York River and then backtrack (just a little bit) along the Colonial Parkway to Williamsburg. If you take this route, than a final stopping point roughly midway between lunch and Williamsburg would be the Hutchinson Unit of the Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge.

Last edited by AZBuck; 03-09-2016 at 07:48 PM.

Default And now for something completely different

When our sons and their identically aged boy cousins were kids, we'd convene for vacation at the family vacation home in Virginia Beach. Easy trip for us from Raleigh but a haul from Kingston, NY for the sister and bro-in-law.

They'd run down to Cape May, NJ and ride the Cape May Ferry to Lewes, DE, then come all the way down the Delmarva Peninsula to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (CBBT). Their destination was less than 2 miles from the southern end of the CBBT, while Williamsburg is some 35 miles back to the north. One would not want to drive from the southern end of the CBBT, through the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) to Williamsburg between the hours of 6 and 10 am nor between 3 and 7pm given the extreme congestion then, but other than that, it's a viable and very scenic alternative.

My in-laws used the ferry ride as their mid-day break in the 10-11 hour trip. Their boys loved it. I believe reservations are required or are at least strongly recommended. Down on the Virginia Beach end, the southernmost artificial island along the CBBT is a designated rest stop/parking area and would be a perfect stop for a last bathroom break before heading up to Williamsburg, some 45-50 minutes further along (at least). Spending 30 minutes at that island is a virtual guarantee of seeing commercial ships, Navy ships, or both, from only 200 yards away as they sail across the tunnel anchored by the two islands.

I have used US 301 from US 50 just west of Annapolis south across the Potomac, thence VA 207 to I-95 many times to avoid DC, which I'll gladly take a beating with a ball-peen hammer rather than endure. Much of that route is, however, rather congested in its own right, with dozens of stoplights, particularly along the northern end from, say, Waldorf on northward. That's also to be avoided at rush hour.

There is a nice rest area on the Virginia side of the Potomac River Bridge.

I also very much second the suggestion to take the US 17 south route from US 301 at the southern end of the Rappahannock River bridge. That's a very nice route and it crosses the York River near to and a very easy drive from Williamsburg.

7. Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Have you considered bypassing both Baltimore and DC? Take DE-1 to DE-299 to US-301 to VA-207 back to I-95.
    Wow, thanks, I'll take a look at it. I was hoping there might be a way around DC.

8. Default

Thank you - I'll look at the alternatives.

9. Default

Fantastic - love the detail. Although we do want to spend as little time in the car as possible, it's much nicer to travel off of the interstate and see the area from a different perspective. Yes, I think we'll pack a picnic lunch if the weather is good and I really wanted to find a playground and an area to run. I'll take a look at your suggestions. Thank you.

10. Default

Sounds like a nice alternative and a ferry might also be fun. Thanks for taking the time to help with my planning.