1. Default Planning a summer road trip! New York>Lower Ontario>Michigan

Hi everybody,

I'm planning a summer road trip with the goal of hitting all of the Great Lakes. This plan is very, very new, and hardly fleshed out at all. I'm reaching out to you guys to gather advice on routes, stops, and anything else you may have to offer.

I'll be starting from Westchester, New York, with the end goal being the southern coast of Lake Superior. As of right now, I would like to get to Michigan through Lower Ontario, Canada.

Here are some questions, bearing in mind that my goal during this trip is to see natural attractions and wonders:

• What are some of the places you suggest I hit up along the way?
    • How much money (approximately) would GAS ALONE cost to get up to Lake Superior and back down? If it helps, I'm driving a 2013 Honda CRV which has an average 21/31 city/highway miles per gallon.
    • Is this a feasible 5-7 day trip, or would it take longer? If I kept it to 5-7 days, would I be rushing the trip?
    • Lastly, any advice you have on road tripping in general (this is only my second trip, the other being only a day trip up to Saratoga Springs)

Thanks so much if you took the time to reply to this, I really would appreciate any information I get that will help make this process easier.

Tucson, AZ

Default Just the Basics Then

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

OK. let's start at the very beginning. This is a trip that can be done in five to seven days, although to be honest I'd say that five day would be an absolute minimum. Seven days would make it much more comfortable and enjoyable, as well as, unfortunately, a bit more expensive. Another basic item: You are aware that you will need a current, valid passport to enter Canada, right?

Rather than give you a fish, I'll teach you how to fish. There is a Fuel Cost Calculator link on nearly every page of RoadTrip America. That will allow you to run your own estimates of what gas will cost as your routing changes. And don't forget that gas costs more in Canada. The current average price in Ontario is about C$0.86/l or roughly $2.55/gal (subject to fluctuations in both the cost and the exchange rate).

My personal best bit of advice to you in planning your trip would be to use different routes west- and east-bound. for example, you could head west using US-6 across northern Pennsylvania to Cleveland, north through Michigan (possibly including Lake St. Clair as well) through Bay City to the Upper Peninsula (UP) of Michigan and the southern shore of Lake Superior. You could then return home via Sault Ste. Marie, South Baymouth, the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, the Erie Canal, and the Hudson River.

Some (by no means all) of the highlights of such a trip would be the lakes themselves: the Bass Islands of Lake Erie, Sleeping Bear Dunes on the shore of Lake Michigan, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Lake Superior, the Soo Locks between Superior and Huron, the ferry ride across a portion of Lake Huron, Toronto's lake front on Lake Ontario, and Niagara Falls between Erie and Ontario.

As for basic RoadTripping suggestions, that's all there is on this website. Read away, and if you don't find exactly what you're looking for ask specific questions and we'll do our best to answer them.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Some more advice from AZBuck....

You might consider the advice in this paragraph, published some months ago, but still relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Together with advice above, this will give you all the information you will need for your trip.

Good detailed maps, if you do not already have them, can be got from AAA or you might prefer a road atlas such as Rand McNally. These are invaluable while planning a trip, and essential when on the road. Don't be tempted to rely solely on your gps. Many have done so at their peril - some fatal.

Enjoy the planning and have a great trip.