Default LA to Denver Sep 2016_Need Advice

I'm planning a three week trip from LA to Denver intending to visit as many National Parks and Monuments as possible without driving for for more than about 250 miles a day (my wife won't sit in a car for too long); and wanting to see the fall colours around Aspen/Independance pass.
    Rough itinerary at present is: Joshua Tree, Organ Pipe, Saguaro west, Sedona, Page/Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Moab for Arches etc, Mesa Verde NP, Durango, Montrose for Gunnison, Aspen, Brekenridge then head for Denver airport.
    The stretch between 29 Palms and Organ Pipe(Ajo) is a long one, 511Km according to Google. Is there anywhere worth stopping between these two to break up the journey and perhaps take a quick hike? Our current dates are arriving from UK to LA on the 7th Sept and leaving Denver on 27 Sep but this is reasonably flexible.
    Hope I'm sending this to the right place and many thanks in advance for any advice.

South of England.

Default Some suggestions.

Hi and welcome back to RTA ! [I have moved your thread to the relevant planning section]

I have no first hand experience of that area, but Gila Bend may make an overnight stop with the nearby Sonoran desert National monument although it really wouldn't be a big drive to continue to Organ Pipe. Have you been to the Grand canyon NP ? It's noticeable by it's absence from your list. Had you considered Zion and Bryce canyon NP's ? You might also look at a visit to Rocky mountain NP as you have a good amount of time for a one way trip.

Joplin MO

If you are taking I-8, there is no lodging whatsoever between Yuma and Gila Bend, and choices in Gila Bend are very limited. It's just as bad on I-10 - nothing between Quartzsite (also very limited choices) and the AZ-85 interchange and on down to Gila Bend. Blythe or Yuma would be your best bet, but this could put a cramp in your schedule unless you want to head in to Phoenix or Casa Grande.

Southern California

If you are taking I-8, there is no lodging whatsoever between Yuma and Gila Bend, and choices in Gila Bend are very limited.
    Almost, but not completely, true. There's a Microtel in Wellton at exit 30. It's about 6 or 7 years old. True, it's more for the longer stays, but it's there.

Gila Bend, OTOH, is perfectly placed for a trip down to Organ Pipe Cactus NM. There's a Best Western, America's Choice Inn, and about 3 mom-and-pops to choose from. If it were me, I'd grab either the Best Western or the America's Choice.

Donna who travels I-8 several times per year

Thanks for that, yes have visited North Rim, Zion and Bryce ( Death Valley, Sequoia, Kings Canyon Yosemite etc.) during a great trip in 2009 but missed the Southern deserts, Monument valley and fall colours around Ouray/Aspen, hence the current trip. Hope we aren't too early for the fall colours and catch too much heat in the deserts. The flghts are booked now so just a question of making the best of it.
    I think we will just push on and drive to Organ Pipe before Saguaro and North to Sedona.
    All the best

Southern California

Really, Twentynine Palms to Ajo is less than 400 miles. Taking the 10 to AZ 85 is 320 miles, or going down to I-8 around the Salton Sea is 370 miles. Trying to stay in Ajo might be a bit tricky - a set of cabins next to an RV park, a mom-and-pop motel and a B&B.

As for something to break up the drive, there are a couple of possibilities. If you go via I-8, you could stop at the sand dunes west of Yuma. You can see a short piece of the old "plank road" there. Or, stop at the Yuma Territorial Prison. (There are also a LOT of choices for lunch in Yuma! A LOT!) If you go via the 10, you could stop at Blythe for lunch. There are also quite a few places with petroglyphs, and of course the Colorado River is there for recreation.

Default One night between Sedona and Monument Valley

Hi all
    Many thanks for the advice so far, still planning our trip from LA to Denver and have to be in Monument Valley for the 16 Sep and am leaving Sedona on the 14th so have one night in between but, can't decide whether to go via Page or Canyon De Chelly. Antelope canyon looks great but sounds expensive and crowded/organised whereas in Canyon de Chelly you can do your own thing up to a point but the drive looks monotonous and desolate on Indian Route 15. Any advice is gratefully received.
    Many thanks

Moderator Note: Please keep all questions about the same trip in the same thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-12-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: merged threads