1. Default Aussies need help planning a 1 week round road trip from NYC

Hi Guys,

Been reading through everyone's suggestions(which are great!) and felt I needed a bit of help myself!

We will be in NYC for 2 weeks starting March 1st. For the first week we are pretty sorted with things to do and see, for the 2nd week we would like to do a round roadtrip for the 2nd week from NYC March 7th or 8th returning by March 13th, but really stuck for ideas.

We just finished a roadtrip from LA visiting Big Bear Lake - Las Vegas - Zion National Park - Bryce Canyon - LA. What we loved about this trip was the national parks and hikes! The beauty was breathtaking as was the desert.

So we are thinking it would be great to see some different landscapes on the other side of the country. Here are our preferences:
    - Anything natural and beautiful, especially hikes
    - We wouldn't want to drive anymore than 3 hours a day, and happy to stay for a few days in one spot to truly experience an area
    - Would also be interested in seeing different communities like Amish, etc.
    - Mountains, sea and woods are all beautiful - don't have a set preference
    - On a budget - not wanting to stay in expensive areas
    - Would prefer the weather to be dry, but know that it is temperamental this time of year. Don't mind if there is snow on the ground, just don't really want to get caught in a storm

Hope this gives everyone a decent idea of what we are after!

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to RTA!

March is probably iffy at best, but some thoughts:
    Niagara Falls
    Finger Lakes of NY
    Gettysburg PA and not-so-far places like York, Lancaster (Amish!)

Donna

Default Head south.

If it were me, I would head south via the coast to Georgia. The scenery there is very different from, the west as is the drive down the coast. Or if you prefer to go inland you could head down the Blueridge Parkway through Virginia.

I take it you have good maps to see the routes to those destinations. Many of which are very scenic.

Lifey

If you decide to head south then I would highly recommend taking the train from NYC to Washington, D.C., to save yourself a big chunk of aggravated driving. Spending two to three days in D.C. is one option.

From D.C., you have a number of options. First, you could continue on the train to Richmond, Virginia, and from there visit a number of historical sites (Jefferson's Monticello, roughly to the west and north); historical Williamsburg and Yorktown; North Carolina's Outer Banks (optionally drive all the way down to Ocracoke, but at least to the Buxton Lighthouse). The Blue Ridge mountain range to the west of Richmond. Several Civil War sites in the area if that is of interest. Return your rental car to Richmond and ride the train back to NYC avoiding some of the most congested and expensive highways in the USA.

Basing out of D.C., you can drive down to the Atlantic Coast or head west to the Appalachian foothills, visit Harper's Ferry and south along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Grab a Guide Book (e.g., Frommer's, Moon's, etc.) for an overview of the areas. The Guide Books are more likely to highlight and identify areas you may be interested in visiting.

5. Default

There are many beautiful hiking trails and state parks near NYC. The Appalachian Trail is less than two hours west of the city. I like Tallman Mountain State Park, which is just west of the Hudson River in Orangetown. The Long Path hiking trail runs through it. Even though the trees don't have their leaves this time of year, I enjoy the scenery with all the mossy rocks and streams.