Default Grand canyon in March.

I have spent several days on the north side of the GCNP (around 1995). Now I have a full day to drive from Flagstaff to Kingman, and while I know there are other options, I am wondering if it makes sense to visit the south side of the GCNP, around March 20, 2016. The extended weather forecast (I know: it's a prayer, only) is for very light snow.

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

Hoppercats21, you might want to start your own thread about your own trip so that it's considered in its own right. If this were me, though, I would watching the weather and see how it plays out on that day. If it looks good, going up to the Grand Canyon makes sense. Just be ware, as AZBuck reminds us, it's up there in elevation and can be good and COLD. I'd go in from Cameron on the east, and then exit the park to the south at Tusayan and down to Williams before going on to Kingman.

Anyway, you responded to an almost-5-year-old thread, so hopefully a moderator will help you move it to your own thread.

South of England.

Default I would !

It makes perfect sense, take advantage of this great opportunity ! Of course you should follow the advice above and keep an eye on conditions but if that works out, go for it ! I too would recommend going up US89 and in through the east entry point, your first stop will be the Watchtower and then the various viewpoints on route to the main canyon following the direction of the Colorado river.

Green County, Wisconsin

The last time I was at the Grand Canyon, it was in mid-March, and we saw beautiful weather. I'm thinking it was in the 60s, so perfect temps for hiking. The only weather issue at all is that there were still a few icy spots on some of the trails, and after sunset, the temperatures dropped very quickly - which was only a problem because we were in t-shirts.

Of course, that doesn't mean that's what you'll see this year, but any weather forecast for something a month away is essentially meaningless too.

Thanks to all that replied.
    We had a wonderful trip driving from PHX to Flagstaff (with 5 hikes along the way); then hiked the 6.6 miles of the West Fork of the Oak Creek Canyon the next day and did the Walnut Canyon hikes. We passed on the GC (tired) but stopped at Williams and Seligman to get the flavor on our way to Kingman. Then through Oatman, AZ, to the Amboy Crater (hiked to the rim), then 29 Palms and the Joshua Tree NP for several hikes. Then thru Mecca to Borrego Springs (Anza-Borrego Desert SP) for a hike and on to Julian (for apple pie) b4 coasting into San Diego. Spent 3 very enjoyable days in SD, then drove to Dana Point and caught the ferry to Catalina Island for the next day and back. Drove over the mountains to Palms Springs and back to Joshua Tree NP for more hiking b4 hot-footing it back to PHX.
    I got many clues from Southwest Dave's comments, AZ Buck's comments and Donna's comments. Again, thanks to all.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Thank you.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thank you so much for coming back and sharing it with us.